Choosing a University: Math vs. Physics & Relevant Courses for Physicists | Blog

• Thread starter ΔxΔp≥ћ/2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision to pursue a degree in mathematics or physics and the relationship between the two subjects. Some questions that were discussed include whether it is easier for a mathematician to pick up physics or for a physicist to pick up math, the level of math knowledge required for a physicist, and the possibility of doing a double major in math and physics. It is also mentioned that the decision between math and physics does not have to be made immediately and that it is common for students to change their major multiple times. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the conclusion that it is important to choose a university that offers a good program and has small classes and research opportunities.
ΔxΔp≥ћ/2
Guys, I have a lot of questions. The time to really think about where to apply to university has arrived and I am not able to fully commit to a decision. Firstly, I want to be either a mathematician or a physicist.

A question that I think others have wondered but never asked explicitly (that I've seen) is: is it is easier for a mathematician to pick up relevant physics or for a physicist to pick up relevant mathematics?

My second question is how much math must/should a physicist know? Specifically, what classes should I look for (complex analysis, functional analysis, diff. equations...)?

Once I sort some of these things out, it will be easier for me to choose a university.

Physics news on Phys.org
most places that will give you a quality education in math will do the same for you in physics and vice versa..

"is it is easier for a mathematician to pick up relevant physics or for a physicist to pick up relevant mathematics?"

the reason why you don't see an explicit answer for this is because there is no such relationship between the two subjects...ie it all depends on the strengths/weaknesses of the student

being an undergrad myself, i'd also recommend that you learn as much as you can about the town/city that the university is in...this will probably affect your university life more so than the courses offered or the faculty at the school

A question that I think others have wondered but never asked explicitly (that I've seen) is: is it is easier for a mathematician to pick up relevant physics or for a physicist to pick up relevant mathematics?
It really depends on the individual. I did both early on, with emphasis on the physics side, then switch to nuclear engineering.

My second question is how much math must/should a physicist know? Specifically, what classes should I look for (complex analysis, functional analysis, diff. equations...)?
All of those. Depending on where you want to go as a physicist, you'll probably need linear and abstract algebra, topology, differential geometry and tensor analysis, and starting with a strong background in calculus, ordinary and partial diff eq, complex analysis.

I am always wondering how much math I will need. This is because I see that a lot of "brilliant" mathematicians are largely responsible for major contributions to physics. (John Von Neumann, P. A. M. Dirac, Isaac Newton).

I am also aware that modern quantum theory is essentially all mathematical. Will my success as a theoretical physicist be based more on (besides the obvious: work ethic etc.) my ability as a mathematician, to see possible improvements or consequences of the math or as a physicist to understand what is going on?

If I decide to do a bachelors degree in mathematics, will I be too ignorant of physics and unable to work in the field?

All of those. Depending on where you want to go as a physicist, you'll probably need linear and abstract algebra, topology, differential geometry and tensor analysis, and starting with a strong background in calculus, ordinary and partial diff eq, complex analysis.
I know of few physics programs that offer those options, would I be better off with joint honours math/physics?

As a mathematician in physics, will I be stuck in string theory or something like that?

i'm not sure how being trained as a mathematician would make you a better physicist than if you went to school for physics. a double major in math and physics is always possible, if that's your thing.

of course it's way too early for you to be feeling that you HAVE to choose between math and physics. you will have all the time in the world once you start your studies in college.

don't feel too pressured to figure everything out right now. read about math or physics or whatever you want to over the summer, or just have fun with your friends (while you still can!) no pressure, my two cents

My opinion is don't bother making a definate decision. 200% of people change their major at least 15 times. You probably need a lot of the same class for your first year in math and physics, so take those and see what interest you more. I don't think you can make an educated guess until you study each more indepth.

I disagree with Astronuc. Tensor analysis, diff. geometry, and topology are all high level mathematics (for undergraduates), and for the physicist, these topics are only required if you plan to go into any sort of theoretical/mathematical physics. Any applied physics and you would never need those courses (i.e. plasma physics, medical physics, etc.) Also, for physics undergrads anyways, I'm sure any university that offers a half decent physics program will automatically provide the relevant math classes you'll need to take. Just pick a university and check their requirements for a physics degree.

Standard: lin algebra, calculus (1/2/3), ODEs, PDEs, Complex variables.

I'm just finishing my B.Sc. Honours Physics, and will do a one year after degree to obtain my B.Sc. Hon. Math degree... so again, whichever route you choose, it's only an extra year to get that 2nd one since they are (in the applied mathematics sense) closely related.

As for the physics before math, or math before physics... IMO, the more math you know, the easier and quicker physics will be (mind you, the more abstract you go into math, the harder it might be to accept some physical concepts-- i.e. approximations). Knowing multi dim. calculus, lin algebra, and ODE's would jumpstart a physics degree big time.

EDIT: Just saw Astronuc's "depending". So I guess more proper would be: "To clarify what Astronuc means..." heheh.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I talked to a theoretical physicist that I know today and he convinced me to go to my local university (really small classes, research, good program, good professors, 4 experimental physics classes!). There are too many major plusses going for that institution. It's intense though, I will have no non-physics/math options or courses (after 1st year).

1. What are the main differences between studying math and physics at a university?

While both math and physics involve analyzing and solving complex problems, the main difference lies in their approach. Math focuses on abstract concepts and theories, while physics applies these concepts to understand and explain the physical world. Additionally, math tends to be more theoretical and conceptual, while physics is more hands-on and experimental.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to study physics at university?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for studying physics at the university level. Physics relies heavily on mathematical concepts and equations, and students without a solid math background may struggle to understand and apply these concepts. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before pursuing a degree in physics.

3. What are some relevant courses for physics majors?

In addition to core physics courses, physics majors often take courses in mathematics, chemistry, computer science, and engineering. Some common courses for physics majors include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. Depending on their specific interests, students may also choose to take courses in astronomy, astrophysics, or geophysics.

4. What are the career opportunities for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career options available to them. Many go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields, such as engineering or astronomy. Others may choose to work in research and development, data analysis, or teaching. Physics majors are also highly sought after in industries such as technology, finance, and consulting, due to their strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

5. How can I determine which university is best for studying math and physics?

When choosing a university for math and physics, it is important to consider factors such as the quality of the faculty, research opportunities, and available resources. Look for universities with strong departments in both math and physics, and consider reaching out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences. It's also beneficial to visit the campus and attend open houses or information sessions to get a feel for the university's atmosphere and community.