1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do with quasi-Master's?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    I'm in a bit of a pickle - maybe you all can give me some advice.

I was in a physics doctoral program for 4 full years, but I was forced to leave the university early due to an illness in the family. As a result, I am left without any form of recognition for the countless hours of laboratory research and coursework that I did indeed complete. I did in fact successfully defend a Master's thesis, but for technical reasons, I was never officially conferred that degree either.

So I guess my question is this - how can I make use of my research experience and knowledge in the work force?

My specialty was laser-induced plasma spectroscopy and its applications in combustion.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2
    try really hard to see if you can get the MS. what reason could they possibly have to deny you the degree?

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Just put it [edit- the experience and coursework] on your resume/CV and hope for the best. I dont think there is much else you can do, save getting the actual degree.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Bad advice. If you weren't awarded the degree, you should not lie and say you were.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5
    I didnt mean the degree lol. I mean the experience and coursework.

" how can I make use of my research experience and knowledge in the work force?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook