What to do with quasi-Master's?

• Thread starter dack526
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to utilize their research experience and knowledge in the workforce after being forced to leave a physics doctoral program due to a family illness. They had successfully defended a Master's thesis but were never officially conferred the degree. Some suggest putting the experience and coursework on their resume, while others advise against lying about having the degree.
dack526
I'm in a bit of a pickle - maybe you all can give me some advice.

I was in a physics doctoral program for 4 full years, but I was forced to leave the university early due to an illness in the family. As a result, I am left without any form of recognition for the countless hours of laboratory research and coursework that I did indeed complete. I did in fact successfully defend a Master's thesis, but for technical reasons, I was never officially conferred that degree either.

So I guess my question is this - how can I make use of my research experience and knowledge in the work force?

My specialty was laser-induced plasma spectroscopy and its applications in combustion.

Physics news on Phys.org
try really hard to see if you can get the MS. what reason could they possibly have to deny you the degree?

Just put it [edit- the experience and coursework] on your resume/CV and hope for the best. I don't think there is much else you can do, save getting the actual degree.

Last edited:
Bad advice. If you weren't awarded the degree, you should not lie and say you were.

Vanadium 50 said:
Bad advice. If you weren't awarded the degree, you should not lie and say you were.

I didnt mean the degree lol. I mean the experience and coursework.

" how can I make use of my research experience and knowledge in the work force?"

What is a quasi-Master's degree?

A quasi-Master's degree is a term used to describe a degree that is similar to a Master's degree, but may not be recognized as such by some institutions. This can include degrees from non-accredited or online universities, or degrees that have not met all of the requirements for a traditional Master's degree.

Can I use my quasi-Master's degree for further education?

This depends on the institution you are applying to and their specific requirements. Some universities may accept a quasi-Master's degree for admission into a higher degree program, while others may not. It is best to contact the admissions office of the institution you are interested in to inquire about their policies.

Will employers recognize my quasi-Master's degree?

Employers may have varying opinions on the value of a quasi-Master's degree. Some may view it as equivalent to a traditional Master's degree, while others may not. It is important to research the specific industry and employer you are interested in to see how they view quasi-Master's degrees.

What career opportunities are available with a quasi-Master's degree?

This will depend on the field and industry you are interested in. Some employers may view a quasi-Master's degree as equivalent to a traditional Master's degree and offer the same career opportunities. However, others may have specific requirements for certain positions that may not accept a quasi-Master's degree. It is important to research the specific job requirements for the career path you are interested in pursuing.

Is it worth getting a quasi-Master's degree?

This is a personal decision that will depend on your individual goals and circumstances. A quasi-Master's degree may provide you with new knowledge and skills, but it may not hold the same weight as a traditional Master's degree in the eyes of some employers or institutions. It is important to carefully consider your options and weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks before pursuing a quasi-Master's degree.