1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do?

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    I've had a love of physics since the 4th grade, and still do. The job prospects aren't too exciting for just a physics degree, so I was wondering what i could do? I was planning on getting my Bachelors in Physics, and then either going into medical school for medical physics(not really into medical physics quiet so much), or going into graduate school for mechanical engineering or physics. What would be the best careers for me to look into? I could teach, but I'd like to do that as a side job.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plan on getting your bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    Well I live near the Norfolk shipyard and various other firms and know a couple people that are retired military who work for a good pay doing a job that requires a masters in physics, I'm just wondering which would be better to do, I could always minor in engineering to have a better prospect.

5. Apr 11, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Major in engineering for a better prospect. If you want good pay, like really good, Computer Software Engineering or Chemical Engineering pay generally the most. But if you like physics and have a leaning toward mechanical engineering, then Mechanical Engineering should be your field of choice (I bet the shipyard has lots of them).

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you're interested in medical physics you have to go to grad school for medical physics, not medical school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook