Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to expect today? 8-8-8

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    8 is suppose to be lucky, i dont know maybe some good or bad things might happen today

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect it will be the eigth day of August, in the year 2008.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3
    The 126th end of the world and the 10th coming of Jesus.

5. Aug 7, 2008 #4
    maybe i forgot the 2, 8-8-2008

6. Aug 7, 2008 #5
    Wait! Hold on! I'm still stuck on 8-7-08 or 7-8-08 depending on how you look at it. Give me a few hours to catch up. :(

7. Aug 7, 2008 #6
    1) economics exams :grumpy:
    2) Olympics
    3) I was going to get a 200$ check from my bookstore if I had requested for it before August 6

And it is still 8-7-2008 7:45 PM :grumpy:

8. Aug 7, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

We humans order things so we can predict the seasons, floods, etc, and eventually refine them into a system that makes our primitive attempts to define time into something that coincides a little better with the natural system. Then the weirdos attempt to assign significance to the numbers themselves.... Pretty scary how gullible "smart" apes can be. This is one seriously off-the-wall numerologist.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Aug 7, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cyclovenom's birthday!

10. Aug 7, 2008 #9
    OMG BURN IT!!

"Everything living, i.e. everything has numerical vibrations."

Holy Jesus please make it stop!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Aug 7, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That reminds me...birthday postings disappeared after the software upgrade. Are they gone for good :frown: ?

12. Aug 7, 2008 #11
    No, we're still having birthdays

13. Aug 7, 2008 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the USA, yes. But remember our discussion yesterday? In Europe 8-8 would mean that it's ... uh ... er, never mind.

14. Aug 7, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

All the managers (there are enough here to run a country) get on a modern day Titanic.

15. Aug 7, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I had the same thought!!! Sigh...we're both dorks.

16. Aug 7, 2008 #15

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

. . . where the crew are all heavy blow-it-in-your-face chain-smokers :biggrin:

17. Aug 7, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Me too! At first I thought I had been writing the wrong date on things all day today! :rolleyes:

18. Aug 8, 2008 #17
    08-08-2008 is the date where I can possibly get a job at EA games.

19. Aug 8, 2008 #18
    If yesterday, the day before that, and every day that there has ever been is any guide, I expect today will be extraordinary. Here are a few things that happened on 8/8/'08 in the past.

8/8/1908 - Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It's the Wright Brothers' first public flight and the French public goes wild. (I guess it was Orville doing all the flying before that and always in private. Probably it doesn't take much to make the French go wild.)

8/8/1808 - Fleming Cobbs sold 260 acres of land on Davis Creek in Augusta County, VA to Zachariah F. Estill. Estill subsequently built a grist mill and a sawmill on the land. (Some sawmills continue to exist to this very day 8/8/2008, but I can't find out if Estill's still does)
    Also, James Shaw, a member of the Texas Republic House of Representatives and of its Senate, was born on that day.

8/8/1708 - Philippe II d'Orleans wrote a letter of congratulations to Antoine Coypel as a result of which, the Duc d'Antin choose Coypel to paint the ceiling of his nave.

8/8/1608 - During his second voyage of exploration of the Chesapeake Bay, John Smith left Tockwogh village and headed down the bay where flood tides slowed his barge.

8/8/1508 - The first settlement on the island of Caparra was established by Juan Ponce de Leon.

Have a nice day.:smile:

20. Aug 8, 2008 #19
    Where did you come up with 8 being a lucky number? I've heard of 13 being bad luck and 7 being good luck and 69 being really good luck, but 8?

21. Aug 8, 2008 #20
    Eight is the next luckiest number after seven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?