1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other What to learn?

1. Sep 22, 2017 #1
    I graduated from high school this year. And now I am taking a ESL program. I have learned AP physics 2. I want to learn some college physics, but there is no physics courses in the program I am taking. Can you recommend some books, so I can learn some by myself?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2017 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you studied any calculus yet? "Real Physics" starts in college/university with a calculus-based intro physics course using e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics. Use the forum search (upper right of the page if you're on a desktop or notebook computer) to "search this forum only" for "Halliday" and you'll probably find lots of threads comparing intro physics books.

4. Sep 23, 2017 #3
    Ok, thanks! What do you mean by "real physics"?

5. Sep 23, 2017 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This depends how far along you are with ESL. The college (community college) would give instruction using English. Check with the college to find about TEOFL from which this should indicate if you have good enough English to take the coursework you want, or what recommendation you could be given to what book to study from.

6. Sep 23, 2017 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Just about every member who responds will say Calculus & Analytic Geometry 1, at the very minimum, to begin 'real physics', for Fundamental Mechanics (Physics 1). The prerequisites for Calc 1 are INTERMEDIATE Algebra if not College Algebra, AND Trigonometry.

7. Sep 24, 2017 #6
    I have learned Calculus AB in high school

8. Sep 24, 2017 #7
    I am studying in a ESL program in a private university... I got conditional offer for this university. But this program don't have physics courses.

9. Sep 24, 2017 #8
    I think calculus AB in high school includes the most of calculus 1, right?

10. Sep 24, 2017 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure. The Calc1 from a UNIVERSITY or community college will teach and instruct about the basics of derivatives and integrals and might need or include the use of Trigonometry. Calc 1 is a prerequisite for Physics 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted