What are the options for transferring engineering credits between colleges?

In summary, it sounds like you will need to speak with the schools you are considering about transferring credits. You should make a better academic plan and be aware of the different types of engineering degrees.
Jakecrews28
Ok so I'm a senior in high school right now. I want to be a mechanical engineer and would like to get my masters and I also love physics but I'm going to a school that only offers engineering technology and physics (I understand the basic difference between engineering and engineering technology I think). It's to late to transfer to another school this semester so I'm stuck at this school. I love the school I'm going to go to though and would like to know what you guys would recommend me to do. Is there anyway I could stay at the school I'm going to go to for a year or two and just take the basic engineering, physics and math classes that could transfer to another college? Hopefully this is enough information but I'll answer any questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear that the classes you'll be taking for an Engineering Tech degree will be the same as those required for a Mechanical Engineer.

If you have a school in mind to which you wish to transfer for your ME degree, you should discuss with that school if the engineering tech courses are acceptable to them and if these credits will transfer. There's no upside in spending a lot of time enrolled at one school if your work isn't recognized at another school.

You should have made a better academic plan about attending college. It saves a lot of time and money.

I know, honestly I didn't know it was engineering technology, I thought it was engineering. At this point I'm just trying to clean up my mess.

Im thinking I can take the classes at the school I'm going to go to, that the other school that does offer an engineering major, makes engineering majors take the first semester. Then I could transfer to that school as soon as possible.

Does that seem to be my best bet?

I don't think there was a generic "Engineering" degree. The major branches of engineering, civil, mechanical, electrical, etc., share the basic courses for the first two years or so, but then in the last two years, typically, courses concentrating on a particular branch of engineering are usually taken. For instance, MEs and EEs will both take a basic electricity course, but then the EEs will take further courses in electrical engineering and electronics which an ME might not take.

Like I said previously, I don't think there is a generic answer to your original question. You will have to deal with your two schools and find out from them if you can transfer your credits from one school to the other, or if you will be required to re-take some introductory courses should you transfer.

Engineering degrees must be granted by schools accredited by ABET and it's not clear if the school where you are taking Engineering Technology is accredited by that body. It would be one of the things I would check.

1. What is the best major to choose for job opportunities?

This depends on your personal interests and strengths. Some majors, like computer science and engineering, may have more job opportunities, but if you are not passionate about those fields, you may not excel in them. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and skills.

2. Will my major determine my salary?

Your major can play a role in your salary, as certain fields tend to have higher paying jobs. However, your salary will also be influenced by your skills, experience, and the job market. It is important to choose a major that you are passionate about and that will allow you to develop valuable skills.

3. Can I change my major once I start college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major during college. However, it is important to keep in mind that switching majors may lengthen the time it takes to graduate and may require taking additional courses. It is best to carefully consider your options before choosing a major.

4. How can I choose a major if I am not sure what I want to do?

If you are unsure of what you want to major in, consider taking courses in different subjects to explore your interests. You can also speak with an academic advisor, career counselor, or upperclassmen to gain insight into different majors and career paths. It is normal to be undecided and it is okay to take your time in choosing a major.

5. Will my major limit my future career options?

Your major may influence your career options, but it does not necessarily limit them. Many employers value a well-rounded education and look for transferable skills rather than just a specific major. Additionally, you can always gain additional skills and knowledge through internships, workshops, and other experiences to broaden your career options.