What to major in for cosmology?

In summary, for someone interested in cosmology and specializing in relativity or quantum mechanics, the best majors to consider are Pure Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. However, it is also important to read biographies of successful cosmologists and consider their academic paths. Additionally, studying astronomy and astrophysics can also be beneficial, as these fields are closely related to cosmology and provide valuable tools and analytical skills. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specific institution and their offerings, but some recommended options include majoring in Astronomy and Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics, or Physics and Mathematics. It is also important to note that some schools may offer separate majors in Astronomy and Astrophysics, which may have different focuses on theory and observation.
Cosmo16
i was wondering what you guys thought would be the best think to major in for someone who wanted to go into cosmology. Especially in regard to relativity or quantum mechanics.

Also, where do you guys think the best place to go for my undergrad is for the major you suggest

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say Pure Mathematics and Theoritical Physics because you will get all the tools you will possibly need.
The best way to go is to read biographies about Cosmologists, and see how they made it.

No astronomy? I'd think that would be pretty big... I know it's not the same thing, but it's related...

PL

Poop-Loops said:
No astronomy? I'd think that would be pretty big... I know it's not the same thing, but it's related...

PL

Yeah, maybe some Astronomy would be good, but I would say Astrophycists would be much better.

Isn't astrophysics just astronomy + physics? Or... am I totally confused? I don't know anymore, it seems like you'd need all 3 for either of the 3 fields anyway.

PL

Definitely not pure mathematics. For cosmology, you need to know physics and astronomy. For physics, you need to know a lot of math, but most of it can be learned in your physics courses. If you're leaning in the theoretical direction, I recommend a physics major. For observation, look for an astronomy program.

This will, of course, depend on the institution. Where I went, the astronomy program was probably more effective at teaching physics than the physics program, so I wouldn't have recommended a physics major, even for a theorist. Also, some places won't have an astronomy program, but most physics programs will allow you to specialize in astronomy.

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:
Isn't astrophysics just astronomy + physics? Or... am I totally confused? I don't know anymore, it seems like you'd need all 3 for either of the 3 fields anyway.

Astronomy is pretty much the same as astrophysics nowadays. Virtually every modern astronomer, observer or otherwise, needs to know a lot of physics to do their job. Theorists, in general, tend to need more training in physics than observers, but a good astronomer should be able to do both theory and observation if the situation calls for it.

The more math, physics, astronomy/astrophysics, and cosmology I learn (I like to dabble in the latter two), the more I realize how closely related they are. I think that's kind of cool.

PL

So would you guys say astrophyiscs or or physics?

I still stand by Pure Mathematics...

Take a look at Stephen Hawkings. I'm sure he would agree his skills in Pure Math are priceless.

I thought Roger Penrose did most of his math for him.

Cosmo16 said:
So would you guys say astrophyiscs or or physics?

Depends on the school.

JasonRox said:
I still stand by Pure Mathematics...
Take a look at Stephen Hawkings. I'm sure he would agree his skills in Pure Math are priceless.

What about his skills in physics? What makes you think they're not more priceless?

SpaceTiger said:
What about his skills in physics? What makes you think they're not more priceless?

Physics is obviously more important, but majoring in Pure Mathematics gives you more tools and analytical skills to work with.

I never said only do Pure Mathematics. :rolleyes:

JasonRox said:
Physics is obviously more important, but majoring in Pure Mathematics gives you more tools and analytical skills to work with.
I never said only do Pure Mathematics.

Still, for astrophysics, it would make more sense to double-major in astronomy and physics, if one was set upon double-majoring. If you intend to be a theorist, then math is certainly one of the better second choices (particularly if astro isn't offered), but again, it depends on the school.

SpaceTiger said:
Still, for astrophysics, it would make more sense to double-major in astronomy and physics, if one was set upon double-majoring. If you intend to be a theorist, then math is certainly one of the better second choices (particularly if astro isn't offered), but again, it depends on the school.

I'm making the assumption that they (or he/she) want to be a theorists. If not, then Pure Mathematics is not the best thing to major in.

One, yes I want to be a theorist

2. So would you say that majroing in astrophysics is not a good major.

Do you think that astrophysics and Pure Mathamatics or that astronomy and Pure mathamatics is better? (P.S. I am not exactly sure what astrophysics entails)
Also , I was wondering if I would get a good enough grounding in physics without a major in it.

Last edited:
Cosmo16 said:
One, yes I want to be a theorist
2. So would you say that majroing in astrophysics is not a good major.
Do you think that astrophysics and Pure Mathamatics or that astronomy and Pure mathamatics is better? (P.S. I am not exactly sure what astrophysics entails)
Also , I was wondering if I would get a good enough grounding in physics without a major in it.

Your best options are probably:

1. Astronomy and Physics
2. Astronomy and Math
3. Physics and Math

in that order. Remember, some schools will refer to the major as astronomy and other as astrophysics, but they mean the same thing.

The only thing is I have seen schools with both astronomy and astrophysics. Do you know what the difference is? (And I think that is the thing that is causing me confusion)

Cosmo16 said:
The only thing is I have seen schools with both astronomy and astrophysics. Do you know what the difference is? (And I think that is the thing that is causing me confusion)

Well, I've never seen schools with both options, but if I were to guess, astrophysics would be training you to do theory and astronomy training you to do observation. If you want to do theory, you'll definitely want to major in astrophysics, at the very least. Assuming they don't have dramatically different course requirements (they shouldn't), then I would recommend doing both.

thanks for the help

1. What is the best major for studying cosmology?

The best major for studying cosmology is typically physics or astronomy. These majors provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of the universe, as well as the mathematical and analytical skills necessary for studying cosmology.

2. Can I major in cosmology specifically?

While some universities may offer a specific major in cosmology, it is more common for students to major in physics or astronomy and then specialize in cosmology through elective courses, research opportunities, and graduate studies.

3. Is a strong background in math necessary for a major in cosmology?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for studying cosmology. Many concepts and theories in cosmology require advanced mathematical skills, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.

4. Are there any other recommended majors for studying cosmology?

In addition to physics and astronomy, some other recommended majors for studying cosmology include astrophysics, mathematics, and computer science. These majors provide valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied to the study of cosmology.

5. What career opportunities are available with a major in cosmology?

A major in cosmology can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. Other potential career paths include teaching, science writing, and science communication.