What type of american english do you speak?

In summary: General American English 20% Upper Midwestern 10% Midwestern 5% Dixie 5% Upper Midwestern0% Midwestern I don't think so, because I've never heard anyone from the Midwest say "fal". In summary, the majority of the people in the US speak General American English, with some accents in specific regions.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Physics news on Phys.org
55% General American English
35% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Edit: that would have been substatially different two years ago when I lived in Pascagoula, MS...

50% General American English
25% Yankee
20% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Is that bad?
Are Upper midwesterners good people?

70, 15, 10, 5, 0 --- last time I saw this, G. Amer. was called "midwest," and there was a distinction between "NE" and "Yankee."

20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

considering I am from Glasgow Scotland originally that blows that test right out of the water :-)

65% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
15% Yankee
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern

Which is funny because I am from the Midwest, but got 0% Midwestern.

75 - General
15 - Dixie
10 - Yankee

The last time I took it I had 5% dixie.

75% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
5% Midwestern
0% Yankee

Just because you can speak English, doesn't make you a citizen. Could you pass the US citizenship test? I got 10 of 10, but I have to admit, one was little more than a guess (I knew when it was approved, but not when it was written).

Last edited:
arildno said:
25% Yankee
20% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Is that bad?
Are Upper midwesterners good people?
No.

They don't like it when someone from Kansas ("Can's Ass") says "warsh" or "fal" or "chock-lit". They think those words are pronounced "wahsh", "fowul", and "chocolate".

Of course, a lot of Upper Midwestern folks are of Scandinavian descent, so they might like you. Edit: My bad, I didn't notice the 20% Dixie you speak. You're hosed - they'll tie you up and leave you abandoned in a fishing shack on Lake Woebegone.

Last edited:
60% General American English
25% Yankee
15% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

I had to just choose some of the answers at random, because for some of them I wouldn't say any of those words (it's not a shopping cart, it's a trolley! :p :))

50% Zoobie
30% Grey Space Alien
10% Weird, Purple Jellyfish
5% Standard American Gibberish
5% Inaudible To Human Hearing

Anttech said:
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

considering I am from Glasgow Scotland originally that blows that test right out of the water :-)
Well I'm 25% Scottish, so it makes sense that yours and mine are close. :uhh:

For #2, we called it Goosey Night in NJ.

50% yankee, 40% Gen Am. (that seems to be Southern Connecticut in a nutshell), 5% dixie (that must've been my 5 years at UVA),
0% midwestern. (No surprises, I freaked out the first time someone asked "Do you want a sack for your pop?")

45% General American English
45% Yankee
10% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Juvenal, where the heck in NJ are you from? It's always been mischief night in NJ.

I had a hard time with some of the choices, because I either wanted to choose "all of the above" or "none of the above." Like, #10, I would never use any of those terms. But, for "route," I pronounce it either way, it just depends on which road I'm talking about.

25% Upper Midwestern
10% Midwestern
0% Yankee
0% Dixie

70% General American English
20% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

30% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

75% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Yankee

I'm a midwester for sure

60% General American English
25% Yankee
15% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Not that I really have any idea what that means.

And tell me, when it's raining while the sun is shining, who in the world says "the devil is beating his wife"!?

30% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

But I think most of all I speak american english norwegian :biggrin:

70/10/10/5/5

There is a flaw in this test that would allow them to distinguish more:

You drink from:

A water fountain
A drinking fountain
OR A BUBLER!1

Anttech said:
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

You're missing 10% somewhere.

Mine are :

20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

30% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

And I'm a Slav.

Moonbear said:
Juvenal, where the heck in NJ are you from? It's always been mischief night in NJ.

The Bergen/Passaic County area in northern NJ. "Guido" central.

Last edited:
15% Dixie
15% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

General American English is really just California English. My theory is that this happened due to the television and movie industries.

I was probably 18 years old before I realized that I didn't speak the "proper form" of American English; that there really is no such thing. Since nearly everyone on Network TV talked just like me, it was implicit in my thinking that I spoke correctly and everyone else in the country had an accent. It only hit me when one day someone commented on my accent...what...MY accent? Hmmmmm. :eek: Never thought about that way before. I was floored! Of course I immediately reailized my naivety and had a good laugh about it.

80% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern

20% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern

I call east-coast bias. They didn't ask for any phrases that are unique to the west-coast, or at least the Southern California, vernacular. I also know I picked up at least a little Dixie when I lived in Western North Carolina, just nothing they tested for.

45% General American English
25% Dixie
25% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Ivan Seeking said:
Since nearly everyone on Network TV talked just like me, it was implicit in my thinking that I spoke correctly and everyone else in the country had an accent. It only hit me when one day someone commented on my accent...what...MY accent? Hmmmmm. :eek: Never thought about that way before. I was floored! Of course I immediately reailized my naivety and had a good laugh about it.

The exact same thing happened to me when I was living in New Jersey. I'm thinking to myself "I have an accent? You're the one that talks like some Mafioso wannabe straight out of the Sopranos."

15% Upper Midwestern
10% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee

I can understand the 15% Upper Midwestern comes from (I was born in Northern Minnesota), don't know about the 10% Dixie however.

20% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern

I've lived in Houston, Texas, Atlanta, Georgia, Chicago, Illinois, Saratoga Springs, NY, Philadelphia, PA, Kansas City, Missouri & Washington, DC. I guess I've picked up bits and pieces. :biggrin:

Your Linguistic Profile:
15% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

juvenal said:
The Bergen/Passaic County area in northern NJ. "Guido" central.
I'll have to ask my friends who went to Bergen Catholic. One of them grew up in Bergen County, the other is from NY, but still went to Bergen Catholic. As far as I know, they both still call it mischief night, but maybe they adapted to the rest of us later in life.

I remember being surprised it was called anything else when I moved to MI. They call it Devil's Night there, and then turn into little arsonists! It shocked me to no end that they not only had a nastier name for it, but took it to such an extreme...I thought egging a house was bad enough, but to set fire to things should land the little cretins in jail!

hypnagogue said:
And tell me, when it's raining while the sun is shining, who in the world says "the devil is beating his wife"!?
I was wondering the same thing. With some of those questions, I've heard people use the other terms, just never adopted it myself, but that one just sounded too bizarre to be true! It just doesn't make any kind of sense at all.