What type of antenna is this?

• Thread starter phys86
  • Start date
Hello everyone,
for health reason, I just need to know from you what kind of antenna is the one in the photo attached, if it is a receiver or a transmitter and if it is safe enough.

I will have to move on the first floor of a house right under that building (which is a police station if it can be useful to know) and I am a bit concerned. Many thanks.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
:welcome:
Those appear to be VHF radio antennas of the type used by fire, police, pilots and taxi drivers.

I never heard of a health hazard associated with VHF radio antennas. I would not worry.

berkeman
Mentor
And on the first floor of the building below the antennas, you are out of the transmit antenna pattern anyway. There is very little RF energy below vertical antennas like that. :smile:

Thanks to both of you, so I guess I shouldn't worry.

Likes berkeman
Just in case, this is an other view, with the house and the police station with the antenna.

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor
Just in case, this is an other view, with the house and the police station with the antenna.
You are still well below the main Tx pattern, and are pretty far away. I wouldn't worry about it.

Likes dlgoff
You are still well below the main Tx pattern, and are pretty far away. I wouldn't worry about it.
That's good to know, thanks again.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!

berkeman
Mentor
What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!
Looks like a hummingbird director. Or reflector, it's hard to tell.

Or staging for the rubbish collectors. Maybe he didn't pay his bill...

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
you may not be familiar with offset feeds ?

Looks like a hummingbird director. Or reflector, it's hard to tell.
It's an offset fed satellite dish. The beam direction with the current mount would be up over that blue wall

dish.JPG

if you notice, the arm out to the feed point is near horizontal (maybe a few deg above the horiz.), this means the beam angle will be a good few degrees above the horizontal

in this pic is yours truly repurposing an offset fed sat dish for use on the 10GHz ham band
NOTE the angle of the feed boom … it is angled down from the horizontal and as a result the radiated signal is beaming out at a horizontal angle

091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:
Likes TechTree, dlgoff, Tom.G and 1 other person