Is the trefoil knot truly unknottable or is there a way to simplify it?

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure Type
In summary, WWGD referred to the unknottable trefoil knot, in post 10 - subsequent to which I responded, in post 11.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I was watching a video online about something completely different, but in the background I saw a computer monitor displaying an object similar to this.

Can this be topologically reduced to a simpler shape? Such as a simple one-, two- or three-hole doughnut? Or is it an irreducibly complex surface?

coffee-mug.jpg
or three-hole

Attachments

• coffee-mug.jpg
    coffee-mug.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it only appears to be linked. You can change the object topologically to unlink it and you get three holes? I am having a hard time sketching the operations.

upload_2017-11-14_19-58-21.png
Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-14_19-58-21.png
    upload_2017-11-14_19-58-21.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 965
Reminds me of this video on numberphile:

Likes FactChecker
jedishrfu said:
Reminds me of this video on numberphile:

Who are you calling an a hole ? ;).

DaveC426913 said:
Is it valid?
Yes, it is. I sketched it up a bit today, and you* are completely right! *Spinnor

I tried a few other shapes, even some apparent knots, and they can be reduced to simple shapes with holes.

Are there shapes that cannot be reduced below a certain level of complexity? Are there bona fide knots in topology?

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, it is. I sketched it up a bit today, and you* are completely right! *Spinnor

I tried a few other shapes, even some apparent knots, and they can be reduced to simple shapes with holes.

Are there shapes that cannot be reduced below a certain level of complexity? Are there bona fide knots in topology?

Yes, there are " unnoktable" knots, e.g., the trefoil knot. Often you determine these are "genuine" knots by using invariants, i.e., properties intrinsic to knots, such as tricolorability https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricolorability. You can show the trefoil allows for tricolorability (i.e., painting the figure in 3 colors while satisfying certain conditions) while the unknot does not,which shows the two to be inequivalent ( or, more technically, " non-isotopic" ). Formally, a 3D knot is a copy of the circle that allows for twisting and bending of the circle , but do not allow for tearing , a.k.a ##S^1 ## under some functions called a homeomorphism. 2 images of the circle are considered equivalent if one can be deformed into another along special kinds of maps (" ambient isotopies"). Spinnor made use of this result by showing that the figure you presented can be deformed into the " unknot" by allowable moves; these moves are also called " Reidemeister" moves.

TL; DR: Equivalent knots share some properties, like the tricolorability property described above. Conversely, knots that do not share these properties are inequivalent as knots. Since trefoil and standard unknot do not share the tricolorability property, trefoil is a non-trivial knot.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Yes, there are " unknottable" knots, e.g., the trefoil knot.
I guess that would explain its presence on the cover of my high school functions textbook, that I till remember from 35 years ago.

Almost makes me think they put it there to pique my curiosity...

hqdefault.jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 894
Likes WWGD
DaveC426913 said:
I guess that would explain its presence on the cover of my high school functions textbook, that I till remember from 35 years ago.

View attachment 215120
Seems to have worked, albeit with some delay, I guess.

DaveC426913 said:

View attachment 215120
Your yearbook one is topologically different from the original drawing as there are no connection nodes.

jedishrfu said:
Your yearbook one is topologically different from the original drawing as there are no connection nodes.
??

In post 9 I asked about more complex knots. WWGD referred to the unknottable trefoil knot, in post 10 - subsequent to which I responded, in post 11.

So, yes. It's different. :smile:

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the definition of a figure in science?

A figure in science refers to a visual representation of data or information, such as graphs, charts, diagrams, or images. It is used to enhance understanding and communicate findings in a concise and organized manner.

2. How do I determine the type of figure to use for my data?

The type of figure to use depends on the type of data and the message you want to convey. For example, use a bar graph to compare different categories, a line graph to show trends over time, and a pie chart to show proportions.

3. Can I use multiple types of figures in one scientific report?

Yes, it is common to use multiple types of figures in one scientific report to present different types of data and information. However, it is important to ensure that the figures are relevant and support the main message of the report.

4. What are the key elements of a figure in science?

The key elements of a figure in science include a title, labels for the x and y-axis, a legend (if applicable), and a scale. These elements help to provide context and make the figure easier to understand.

5. How do I properly cite a figure in a scientific publication?

When using a figure from another source, such as a published paper or website, it is important to properly cite it in your publication. This includes providing the source and permission to use the figure, if necessary. Most scientific journals have specific guidelines for citing figures, so it is important to follow these guidelines carefully.