What type of sampling is this `

In summary, the sampling approach described in this conversation can be classified as purposive or judgmental sampling.
alex_boothby
What type of sampling is this...`

I want to distrubute questionaires to five groups of people with different educational back grounds;
• Group 1; No GCSE’s
• Group 2; Some GCSE’s
• Group 3; Higher education (A-levels, college course, NVQ etc)
• Group 4; University Graduates
• Group 5; Academic Professional

To get people to complete the questionaire from group 1-3 i will send them to local schools in my region and ask teachers to make the appropaite kids fill them in.

Is this 'non-probabilisitic sampling?

As i know who they are going to be filled in by (as i am aiming it at people with particular levels of education levels, BUT; i don't know who exactly will be filling it in. as in I am not choosing thr particular kid.

So its not random as there all people i want to ask, but i don't know who will be asked in advance( I am not picking and choosing the induviduals of that particular level of education_)

hope this makes sense.

Cheers any help appreciated!

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org

I would classify this type of sampling as purposive or judgmental sampling. This is because you have a specific target population (people with different educational backgrounds) and you are intentionally selecting participants from that population based on certain criteria (group 1-5). It is not random sampling because you are not selecting participants at random, but rather choosing them based on their educational background. However, it is not a non-probabilistic sampling method either, as you have a specific target population and are not selecting participants arbitrarily. It is important to note that purposive or judgmental sampling can still provide valuable insights and information, but it may not be representative of the entire population.

What type of sampling is this?

This is a commonly asked question in the field of research and data analysis. The type of sampling refers to the method used to select a subset of individuals from a larger population for the purpose of data collection and analysis.

What are the different types of sampling?

There are several types of sampling, including random sampling, stratified sampling, systematic sampling, cluster sampling, and convenience sampling. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of sampling method depends on the research question and available resources.

What is random sampling?

Random sampling is a method where every individual in the population has an equal chance of being selected for the sample. This helps to reduce bias and ensure that the sample is representative of the population. Random sampling is often used in quantitative research studies.

What is convenience sampling?

Convenience sampling is a type of non-probability sampling where individuals are chosen based on their availability and convenience to the researcher. This method is quick and easy, but it may not accurately represent the larger population and can introduce bias into the study results.

What is the importance of sampling in research?

Sampling is crucial in research as it allows researchers to collect and analyze data from a smaller subset of individuals instead of the entire population. This helps to save time, resources, and money while still providing valuable insights and generalizations about the larger population.