Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What type of sampling is this?

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    Hi, I hope you can help.

I collected my samples on the street by just asking passers by to fill in my questionnaire. I moved to 5 different locations within the city and spent 3 hours each visit 3 times a week for one month.

Is this random sampling? Or it it sill convenience sampling? Can anyone help me make it sound as good as possible! While i know this can never be representative, can argue that its more than convenience?

Cheers!
    I also asked every 3rd passer by

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2
    I suppose it can be considered as pseudo-random sampling. It signifies the Poisson Distribution. I came to this conclusion since you've specified fixed intervals of time for the task.

4. Jan 3, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is random sampling (I never heard of convenience sampling). The main question is you method sufficient to get a representative sample of the population you are trying to sample? there is not enough information in your statement to answer that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook