What type of software to configure coils, inductors, transformers?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a software program for configuring coils, inductors, transformers, and other components such as switches and LEDs. The person is seeking recommendations for a program and is also having trouble with a coil and rotor assembly they constructed. @Nugatory is not able to provide assistance.
Robin07
What type of software?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a simple software program that I may be able to configure coils, inductors, transformers, core selection etc. Basic ic availability, selection of switches, LEDs, types/strenghths/shapes of permanent magnets. I'm aware that there is a lot of free/shareware out there. Would you know of one out there that would suit my direction of intereset.

I'm having a little issue with the coil and rotor essembly I constructed. It's not doing what I intuitivley would expect.

Thanks for all your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ping @Nugatory . Can you help with this spring cleaning thread?

I'm sorry, but I'm no help - I made my living designing software, as opposed to designing things with software.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is the purpose of configuring coils, inductors, and transformers?

The purpose of configuring coils, inductors, and transformers is to optimize their performance and functionality in electronic circuits. These components are used to store and manipulate electrical energy, and proper configuration can ensure that they operate efficiently and effectively.

2. What are the main factors to consider when configuring coils, inductors, and transformers?

The main factors to consider when configuring coils, inductors, and transformers include the desired inductance or voltage output, current ratings, frequency range, and physical size constraints. These factors will vary depending on the specific application and design requirements.

3. What type of software is commonly used for configuring coils, inductors, and transformers?

There are various software options available for configuring these components, including specialized simulation software, circuit design software, and even spreadsheet programs. Some popular options include LTSpice, Ansys Maxwell, and CoilDesigner.

4. Is it necessary to use software for configuring coils, inductors, and transformers?

No, it is not always necessary to use software for configuring these components. Many experienced engineers and scientists are able to manually calculate the required parameters using mathematical formulas and design guidelines. However, software can be a useful tool to save time and ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using software for configuring coils, inductors, and transformers?

There can be limitations to using software for configuring these components, as it relies on accurate input parameters and assumptions. Additionally, software may not be able to account for all real-world factors and variations that can affect the performance of these components. It is always important to verify the results with physical testing and analysis.