Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What type of Tea

1. Black

9 vote(s)
  2. Oolong

1 vote(s)
  3. Green

11 vote(s)
  4. White

1 vote(s)
  5. Rooibos

3 vote(s)
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
  1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    Within the last year I've really gotten into drinking tea. I usually drink a cup a day late morning. What type do you drink the most? My favorite is Rooibos right now.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2
    Iranian tea with earl grey. You cant compare it to any garbage at starbucks or anywhere else. It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market. Find it, buy it.
  4. Jan 18, 2008 #3
    You posted faster than I could get the poll up :rofl:
  5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I drink 2 different types of Japanese green tea at work. One is a very good loose-leaf green tea, the other is green tea with roasted brown rice.

At home, I drink either a Malaysian tea infused with Lychee and Rose, or the African Autumn tea that Moonbie gave me for Christmas. Love that one!

6. Jan 18, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never heard of Rooibos. I like Iranian tea and almost any other black variety. Except very strong Earl Grey flavor.
  7. Jan 18, 2008 #6
  8. Jan 18, 2008 #7
    Definitely Rooibos. One cup every working day morning at 6.20 am.
  9. Jan 18, 2008 #8
    It's south african

Very trendy right now, great with fruity flavors.
  10. Jan 18, 2008 #9
    I drink at least three cups of green tea every day. Sometimes I also drink black tea, or lipton. Never heard of Iranian tea? Is it a variant of black tea?
  11. Jan 18, 2008 #10
    Drinking that much tea, do your teeth get stained?
  12. Jan 18, 2008 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What types do you prefer? Strong/bold, mild, black tea, herbal tea?

When I want a fully-caffeinated tea with robust flavor (good for a cold weekend afternoon), I like Earl Gray with some added lavender. For a mild tea, when just relaxing, I like darjeeling (I have some that's an early picking that is extremely mild). When I'm in the mood for an herbal tea, that's when I get out the African Autumn tea that Zz and I discovered while at Disney together. And when I'm desperate to wake up after work when I still have things I need to do at home, then it's chai tea.

In the tea bag department (all of the above are loose teas), I enjoy Stash Teas' Pumpkin Spice. It's a decaf tea. It came as a "free gift" with another order I placed, and my first impression when I looked at the box was, "Yeah, there's probably a reason they're giving it away free," but it turned out to be quite tasty. If you like something like Constant Comment, you'd probably like Pumpkin Spice. It has a bit of cinnamon, but not overwhelming like some others I've gotten.

I'm still working on finding a green tea I like. I like what's served when I go to good Japanese restaurants, but I can never find one that tastes like that when I brew it at home.
  13. Jan 18, 2008 #12
    Not really, I've been drinking it for two years now. Maybe it's because I brush my teeth three times a day.

As far as brand, I like many of them. I'm not in for the taste, but health benefits.
  14. Jan 18, 2008 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...is there an all of the above choice on that poll?
  15. Jan 18, 2008 #14

Tea BAG?! My ears!!!
  16. Jan 18, 2008 #15
    Do not have a dinner at dinnertime, have a dinner when you are hungry!
    Does not have a drink when all around are drinking, have a drink when you are thirsty.
    Do not have a tea when "it_'_s_five_o_clock", have a tea ONLY WHEN YOU WISH TEA!!!
    Do not have sex when you go to the bed, ...
    And so on...
  17. Jan 18, 2008 #16

Staff: Mentor

I like Celestial Seasonings Green honey Lemon Ginseng and Stash Black Breakfast Tea.
  18. Jan 18, 2008 #17
    I like a lot of bag teas too, MB (and Evo)
  19. Jan 18, 2008 #18
    Go find this tea.

Get a spoon full and add it to a small pot of water. Heat the water for about 10 mins. Then pour it into a small tea glass about 1/3 of the way. Fill the rest of the way with hot water. If you want sugar, you have to use a sugar cube between your teeth.
  20. Jan 18, 2008 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now you just want to see if you can trick any of us into drooling our tea onto our shirts! :devil:
  21. Jan 18, 2008 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's how I'd brew it: put 1-2 teaspoons of loose leaves into a porcelain teapot (like the ones they have in Chinese restaurants) and add just 3-4 drips of water so it's not completely dry.

Heat water in a separate pot.

Add boiling water on top of the tea (and this is the tricky part) very... very... very... slowly, so that the leaves are not flooded or drowned in water, and at least some remain afloat.

Brew for 10-12 mins.

Then follow Cyrus's instructions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?