Discovering the Right Tea: Rooibos is My Favorite!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market.Find it, buy it. Iranian tea with earl grey. You can't compare it to any garbage at starbucks or anywhere else. It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market. Find it, buy it.

Type of Tea

• Black

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Oolong

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Green

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • White

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Rooibos

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Within the last year I've really gotten into drinking tea. I usually drink a cup a day late morning. What type do you drink the most? My favorite is Rooibos right now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Iranian tea with earl grey. You can't compare it to any garbage at starbucks or anywhere else. It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market. Find it, buy it.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Iranian tea with earl grey. You can't compare it to any garbage at starbucks or anywhere else. It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market. Find it, buy it.

You posted faster than I could get the poll up :rofl:

I drink 2 different types of Japanese green tea at work. One is a very good loose-leaf green tea, the other is green tea with roasted brown rice.

At home, I drink either a Malaysian tea infused with Lychee and Rose, or the African Autumn tea that Moonbie gave me for Christmas. Love that one!

Zz.

Never heard of Rooibos. I like Iranian tea and almost any other black variety. Except very strong Earl Grey flavor.

caffeinated

Last edited by a moderator:
I drink at least three cups of green tea every day. Sometimes I also drink black tea, or lipton. Never heard of Iranian tea? Is it a variant of black tea?

waht said:
I drink at least three cups of green tea every day. Sometimes I also drink black tea, or lipton. Never heard of Iranian tea? Is it a variant of black tea?

Drinking that much tea, do your teeth get stained?

What types do you prefer? Strong/bold, mild, black tea, herbal tea?

When I want a fully-caffeinated tea with robust flavor (good for a cold weekend afternoon), I like Earl Gray with some added lavender. For a mild tea, when just relaxing, I like darjeeling (I have some that's an early picking that is extremely mild). When I'm in the mood for an herbal tea, that's when I get out the African Autumn tea that Zz and I discovered while at Disney together. And when I'm desperate to wake up after work when I still have things I need to do at home, then it's chai tea.

In the tea bag department (all of the above are loose teas), I enjoy Stash Teas' Pumpkin Spice. It's a decaf tea. It came as a "free gift" with another order I placed, and my first impression when I looked at the box was, "Yeah, there's probably a reason they're giving it away free," but it turned out to be quite tasty. If you like something like Constant Comment, you'd probably like Pumpkin Spice. It has a bit of cinnamon, but not overwhelming like some others I've gotten.

I'm still working on finding a green tea I like. I like what's served when I go to good Japanese restaurants, but I can never find one that tastes like that when I brew it at home.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Drinking that much tea, do your teeth get stained?

Not really, I've been drinking it for two years now. Maybe it's because I brush my teeth three times a day.

As far as brand, I like many of them. I'm not in for the taste, but health benefits.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
You posted faster than I could get the poll up :rofl:

Hmm...is there an all of the above choice on that poll?

Moonbear said:
What types do you prefer? Strong/bold, mild, black tea, herbal tea?

When I want a fully-caffeinated tea with robust flavor (good for a cold weekend afternoon), I like Earl Gray with some added lavender. For a mild tea, when just relaxing, I like darjeeling (I have some that's an early picking that is extremely mild). When I'm in the mood for an herbal tea, that's when I get out the African Autumn tea that Zz and I discovered while at Disney together. And when I'm desperate to wake up after work when I still have things I need to do at home, then it's chai tea.

In the tea bag department (all of the above are loose teas), I enjoy Stash Teas' Pumpkin Spice. It's a decaf tea. It came as a "free gift" with another order I placed, and my first impression when I looked at the box was, "Yeah, there's probably a reason they're giving it away free," but it turned out to be quite tasty. If you like something like Constant Comment, you'd probably like Pumpkin Spice. It has a bit of cinnamon, but not overwhelming like some others I've gotten.

I'm still working on finding a green tea I like. I like what's served when I go to good Japanese restaurants, but I can never find one that tastes like that when I brew it at home.

Tea BAG?! My ears!

Do not have a dinner at dinnertime, have a dinner when you are hungry!
Does not have a drink when all around are drinking, have a drink when you are thirsty.
Do not have a tea when "it_'_s_five_o_clock", have a tea ONLY WHEN YOU WISH TEA!
Do not have sex when you go to the bed, ...
And so on...
:smile:

I like Celestial Seasonings Green honey Lemon Ginseng and Stash Black Breakfast Tea.

I like a lot of bag teas too, MB (and Evo)

Go find this tea.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4417/pict0077wc3.jpg​
[/URL]

Get a spoon full and add it to a small pot of water. Heat the water for about 10 mins. Then pour it into a small tea glass about 1/3 of the way. Fill the rest of the way with hot water. If you want sugar, you have to use a sugar cube between your teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
If you want sugar, you have to use a sugar cube between your teeth.

Now you just want to see if you can trick any of us into drooling our tea onto our shirts! :devil:

Cyrus said:
Get a spoon full and add it to a small pot of water. Heat the water for about 10 mins. Then pour it into a small tea glass about 1/3 of the way. Fill the rest of the way with hot water. If you want sugar, you have to use a sugar cube between your teeth.
Here's how I'd brew it: put 1-2 teaspoons of loose leaves into a porcelain teapot (like the ones they have in Chinese restaurants) and add just 3-4 drips of water so it's not completely dry.

Heat water in a separate pot.

Add boiling water on top of the tea (and this is the tricky part) very... very... very... slowly, so that the leaves are not flooded or drowned in water, and at least some remain afloat.

Brew for 10-12 mins.

Then follow Cyrus's instructions.

I always just drink Red Rose black tea but I've become more of a tea drinker lately so I am going to go and try to find some good loose leaf tea. I was at a tea place awhile ago and they had these neat tea pots that had a plunger in them so that when it was brewed to the strength you wanted you pushed down on the plunger and then the tea leaves were separated from the liquid and you didn't get the gross bits of the leaves in your tea. I want to find one of those things.

scorpa said:
I always just drink Red Rose black tea but I've become more of a tea drinker lately so I am going to go and try to find some good loose leaf tea. I was at a tea place awhile ago and they had these neat tea pots that had a plunger in them so that when it was brewed to the strength you wanted you pushed down on the plunger and then the tea leaves were separated from the liquid and you didn't get the gross bits of the leaves in your tea. I want to find one of those things.
Sounds like a French coffee press. My "corner" coffee shop uses them to infuse tea. A much cheaper alternative is to get one of these:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/11/30/tea-stick-makes-loos.html

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/information/INFOaccessoryUse.asp

Also there are clear plastic brewing/draining cups. You brew tea in one, then place it on top of a regular cup. When it comes to contact with the cup's edges the liquid drains into the cup below.

I like my darjeeling blend in the morning. Loose leaf of course.

EnumaElish said:
Sounds like a French coffee press. My "corner" coffee shop uses them to infuse tea. A much cheaper alternative is to get one of these:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/11/30/tea-stick-makes-loos.html

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/information/INFOaccessoryUse.asp

Also there are clear plastic brewing/draining cups. You brew tea in one, then place it on top of a regular cup. When it comes to contact with the cup's edges the liquid drains into the cup below.

I just googled French Coffee Press and you are right that is exactly what it was! I had no idea what they were called I just think they are neat. That tea stick thing looks interesting to.

scorpa said:
I just googled French Coffee Press and you are right that is exactly what it was! I had no idea what they were called I just think they are neat. That tea stick thing looks interesting to.

Yes, that's what I use most of the time for brewing tea, a French press. It's just as easy as a teabag, and so much better tasting. they also make inserts for teapots, as well as wire mesh teaballs that you can put your loose tea into so you don't have bits of leaves getting into your tea. Of course, the "traditional" way to do it is to pour through a strainer to catch any leaves before they go into the cup. If I just want a single cup, I have a small teaball that I add the loose leaves to and brew right in the cup like you would if it was a teabag. While in desperation for a cup of tea at work, and while the French press was at home (forgotten when I took it home for a more thorough washing than is possible in the break room sink), a coffee filter held shut by a paper clip and dangled on an elastic band works well as a tea ball too. :biggrin:

We get all kinds of tea at work, but I don't drink it. It keeps me awake.

jimmysnyder said:
We get all kinds of tea at work, but I don't drink it. It keeps me awake.

Yeah, wouldn't want to be awake at work. Hmm...that sounds like a Dilbert-type comment.

Moonbear said:
While in desperation for a cup of tea at work, and while the French press was at home (forgotten when I took it home for a more thorough washing than is possible in the break room sink), a coffee filter held shut by a paper clip and dangled on an elastic band works well as a tea ball too. :biggrin:
I have used a clipped (clean) handkerchief or rag (from a cotton T-shirt or equivalent) to brew teas, too. I never had a tea-ball in the house until I met my wife 35 years ago, though that may be a product of my make-do attitude. (Don't spend money on tea-balls when there are other ways of getting the tea into the water and getting it back out.) I had a lady-friend from Armonk in college that insisted on making teas from busted-up white pine needles and other stuff that I might not have considered. They were usually quite good.

I have gravitated toward green teas lately, but since most of the green tees showing up in the US are grown in China, you might want to Google on "green tea" and "DDT". It's getting hard to decide what is safe and healthy. I may have to grow all my mint, etc, on my own soil and rely on home-grown herbal teas. I would prefer not to do this, since I enjoy a hot unsweetened cup of green tea, but since China is still producing and using DDT, I have some issues with the integrity of the tea coming to market.

I'm trying really hard to make myself like green tea but I haven't succeeded yet :(

I mostly drink Mixed varieties of English tea. Basically, English teas without a real name.

With milk (cream. whatever) and sugar.

scorpa said:
I'm trying really hard to make myself like green tea but I haven't succeeded yet :(

If you don't like it, why make yourself drink it? Though, I've noticed that there is quite a variety of green teas, just as there are black teas, yet many people seem to treat green teas as if it's just one variety. So, you may have just not found a variety you like, just as someone who doesn't like Lipton tea might enjoy a nice Earl Gray or darjeeling. I have had green tea I really like, but have not found green tea leaves to buy that I like (mostly I've been searching among the Japanese varieties, not the Chinese, so hopefully there's no issue like turbo mentioned of those being contaminated with DDT).

Does no one drink peppermint tea anymore? It grows wild in my garden. My mommy used to try and get me to drink linden baum tea, but it always tasted like dirt when she made it. Other than that, I drink Earl Grey, but only because I'm a trekky.

Last edited:
scorpa said:
Green tea is one of the mildest teas. It needs to be brewed with water that is not boiling, and you cannot let it steep for more than a minute or two or it becomes astringent. You are probably brewing it incorrectly. Also, Lipton green tea is horrid, I can't drink it.

Moonbear said:
If you don't like it, why make yourself drink it? Though, I've noticed that there is quite a variety of green teas, just as there are black teas, yet many people seem to treat green teas as if it's just one variety. So, you may have just not found a variety you like, just as someone who doesn't like Lipton tea might enjoy a nice Earl Gray or darjeeling. I have had green tea I really like, but have not found green tea leaves to buy that I like (mostly I've been searching among the Japanese varieties, not the Chinese, so hopefully there's no issue like turbo mentioned of those being contaminated with DDT).

There is definitely a difference between Chinese green tea and Japanese green tea. I should have brought you over to Toguri when you were here. It was only a block away from your hotel. They have a very nice collection of Japanese green tea.

You will just have to come back for a visit.

Zz.

Wow I am the only oolong tea drinker here:tongue2: I just love the stuff, its as good iced as it is hot.