Discovering the Right Tea: Rooibos is My Favorite!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market.Find it, buy it. Iranian tea with earl grey. You can't compare it to any garbage at starbucks or anywhere else. It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market. Find it, buy it.

Type of Tea

• Black

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Oolong

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Green

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • White

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Rooibos

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Cyrus said:
Iranian tea with earl grey. You can't compare it to any garbage at starbucks or anywhere else. It comes in a little red bag at a middle eastern market. Find it, buy it.

I hope that would be the last time that I'd agree with you!:tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to drink tea with lots of sugar. At some point I experimented with milk (plus sugar). (I was young.)

Nowadays I think if you add anything into coffee or tea, you are diminishing flavors innate to the brew. So I drink it black.

Evo said:
Lipton green tea is horrid, I can't drink it.
Their black tea is just about drinkable, though.

Evo said:
Green tea is one of the mildest teas. It needs to be brewed with water that is not boiling, and you cannot let it steep for more than a minute or two or it becomes astringent. You are probably brewing it incorrectly. Also, Lipton green tea is horrid, I can't drink it.

Oh yeah I am definitely doing it wrong then. I'll have to try it again. I'm only trying to like it because it is fairly good for you, plus i was given a bag of green tea leaves as a gift so I want to use it.

ZapperZ said:
There is definitely a difference between Chinese green tea and Japanese green tea. I should have brought you over to Toguri when you were here. It was only a block away from your hotel. They have a very nice collection of Japanese green tea.

You will just have to come back for a visit.

Zz.

Is that the tea shop or something else? I did stop at a tea shop one afternoon, and thought it was the most WONDERFUL idea since I was not at all in the mood for coffee, but needed something to perk me up mid-afternoon. I assume the green tea served in Japanese restaurants is Japanese green tea, not Chinese (but who knows, in the US, they might do odd things). It's the tea in Japanese restaurants that I like, so I'm pretty sure it's Japanese tea I want, but I've found there are quite a number of varieties. After paying close attention to the flavors when I was in a Japanese restaurant last month, I figured out that part of the problem is I was brewing the tea too strong. I think adjusting the strength will help a lot.

I think this is the year the Neuroscience conference is in Chicago. I have to check their website. If so, I'll make sure I get an abstract in, and will book that same hotel early since I really enjoyed your neighborhood. The conference will be downtown, but I don't really want to stay there when I know the neighborhood you're in is so much nicer of a place to relax at the end of a busy day, and so convenient to the EL.

hypatia said:
Wow I am the only oolong tea drinker here:tongue2: I just love the stuff, its as good iced as it is hot.

I like oolong, but it's not my favorite. I've even adventured and tried some Lapsang Souchon (sp?) tea...very different from any other teas, it has a smokey flavor to it that is definitely an acquired taste...that I seem to have acquired. When I first tasted it, I thought it was disgusting, but somehow have begun to like it.

I also like Assam tea (that's what you use to make chai tea with all the added spices, but I think it's very nice without the spice too).

I must be an oddball. I like green tea steeped for several minutes using boiling water, and I generally use 2 teabags to make one cup of tea, though I generally brew it in a coffee mug, so that's not too out of line. If I used a thin porcelain cup, preheated with boiling water before adding the teabag and boiling water, my results would be different, I'm sure. Heavy ceramic mugs cool the steeping-water quickly, which may be helping me get tea that I like.

Evo said:
Green tea is one of the mildest teas.
It depends. I had the pleasure of attending a tea ceremony at the Japanese House and Garden in Phila. Drinking the tea is incidental in this long drawn out procedure. The hostess used a green powdery tea and after adding water, she used a wooden whisk to froth it up. When I took a drink, it threw me back it was so strong. Not just the flavor, but the caffeine which was over the top. I was reeling from the experience. On the other hand, you can get hoji-cha a kind of brown colored green tea (I'm not kidding). This is quite mild.

jimmysnyder said:
It depends. I had the pleasure of attending a tea ceremony at the Japanese House and Garden in Phila. Drinking the tea is incidental in this long drawn out procedure. The hostess used a green powdery tea and after adding water, she used a wooden whisk to froth it up. When I took a drink, it threw me back it was so strong. Not just the flavor, but the caffeine which was over the top. I was reeling from the experience. On the other hand, you can get hoji-cha a kind of brown colored green tea (I'm not kidding). This is quite mild.
True, there are more delicate teas and the processing and the steeping can greatly alter the experience. I had some great teas while in Japan. That's where I also had my first taste of real sushi at the four star Hotel Okura and thought I was going to die. It wasn't anything like the Americanized version I was used to. Those were some POTENT flavors. I actually had to spit one out into a potted plant when no one was looking. We were being served in the Grand Ballroom by waiters walking around with platers of sushi.

I know you have much more experience with Japanese food and drink.

Moonbear said:
Is that the tea shop or something else? I did stop at a tea shop one afternoon, and thought it was the most WONDERFUL idea since I was not at all in the mood for coffee, but needed something to perk me up mid-afternoon. I assume the green tea served in Japanese restaurants is Japanese green tea, not Chinese (but who knows, in the US, they might do odd things). It's the tea in Japanese restaurants that I like, so I'm pretty sure it's Japanese tea I want, but I've found there are quite a number of varieties. After paying close attention to the flavors when I was in a Japanese restaurant last month, I figured out that part of the problem is I was brewing the tea too strong. I think adjusting the strength will help a lot.

No, it actually is a family-run Japanese gift store. They have some really wonderful Japanese plates, tea pots, platters, ceramics, etc. Of course, they also sell Japanese food and drinks, which includes a variety of Green teas.

I think this is the year the Neuroscience conference is in Chicago. I have to check their website. If so, I'll make sure I get an abstract in, and will book that same hotel early since I really enjoyed your neighborhood. The conference will be downtown, but I don't really want to stay there when I know the neighborhood you're in is so much nicer of a place to relax at the end of a busy day, and so convenient to the EL.

When is the conference? It would be nice to have you back. That place where you stayed is certainly very convenient and it is certainly a lot better than saying downtown. At least you get to eat and stay where the "locals" are and not the touristy spots. Besides, I think you have a good idea on how the trains work now so getting around will be quite easy. If you have more time, we should walk to the lake.

Zz.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Within the last year I've really gotten into drinking tea. I usually drink a cup a day late morning. What type do you drink the most? My favorite is Rooibos right now.

South African? I think it is, my mum drink that the taste is quite nice, both with and without milk. I just prefer a cup of tetleys =]

Wow I just made green tea the right way (not in boiling hot water and only steeping it for a minute) and what a difference! Now I like it! Right now I am drinking a kind called "Fancy Melange - A nice blend of Chun Mee, Gunpowder, China Lichee and Rosetea".

scorpa said:
Wow I just made green tea the right way (not in boiling hot water and only steeping it for a minute) and what a difference! Now I like it! Right now I am drinking a kind called "Fancy Melange - A nice blend of Chun Mee, Gunpowder, China Lichee and Rosetea".
I'm glad that worked for you! A long time ago I read about how the heat and steeping time affected the astringent qualities of green tea and was curious if that was what was wrong. I know that if I let my green tea steep too long, or the water is too hot, I can't drink it. Some teas, like black pekoe, need boiling water and a longer steep time to reach optimum taste. All in all, it's a matter of preference though.

Last edited:
I like "Tea- Earl Grey- hot"!

Actually, I've always thought it peculiar that the pecular that Captain Picard had to say that. Yes, I know that it gives him more "personality" that he insists on a particular type of tea, but a computer wouldn't have to be as advanced as "StarTrek, the New Generation" is supposed to have to be able to recognize his voice and, if he says nothing more, give him his "default".

I've got a few varieties of Rooibos that I like. Sweet and spicy red tea from the Good Earth is the best.

I also like English Breakfast tea, and this vanilla caramel truffle tea from Lipton:
51EZH739DHL._AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Girlfriend is coming over soon so I bought some high quality Japanese green tea, particularly Gyokuro Suimei (roughly 23 dollars for 56 grams/ 2 ounces).

515BPTSCQ8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Premium-Gyokuro-Suimei.jpg

Other than that, I've been drinking bagged tea from Tazo. Their China Green Tips really got me into drinking tea. It has NO additives, which means it's actual green tea leaves harvested from China (Zhejiang province). The flavor is not too bitter and tastes good the second time it's steeped (for me at least). It's refreshing and the caffeine content doesn't seem bad at all... doesn't get me all buzzed out at least.

The green tea I purchased above though is Japan's (hence Japanese Green Tea instead of the Chinese kind I've been drinking) "finest" kind and usually is consumed for special occasions so I will definitely chime back in when I try this out. It's supposed to have a sweet flavor to it, so I'm kind of excited!

For anyone interested, you can buy their stuff from: hxxp://www.denstea.com/

Moonbear said:
Yes, that's what I use most of the time for brewing tea, a French press. It's just as easy as a teabag, and so much better tasting. they also make inserts for teapots, as well as wire mesh teaballs that you can put your loose tea into so you don't have bits of leaves getting into your tea. Of course, the "traditional" way to do it is to pour through a strainer to catch any leaves before they go into the cup. If I just want a single cup, I have a small teaball that I add the loose leaves to and brew right in the cup like you would if it was a teabag. While in desperation for a cup of tea at work, and while the French press was at home (forgotten when I took it home for a more thorough washing than is possible in the break room sink), a coffee filter held shut by a paper clip and dangled on an elastic band works well as a tea ball too. :biggrin:

There are Japanese tea pots that have metal sieves inside that strains the leaves (a strainer basically shaped like the pot itself).

They're great because they allow the leaves to expand instead of being smashed up in a tea ball. :smile:

Last edited:
I was sick for about a week and strangely I've got to hate any sort of tea and coffee since then! :eek:

That may only be temporaroly, Lisa. Have experienced that too after a flu.

Andre said:
That may only be temporaroly, Lisa. Have experienced that too after a flu.

I hope so! :smile:

I've got two kitchen cabinets completely filled with teas. One with pre-packed ones, I don't really drink those much, another with large glass bottles filled with loose teas. My favorites at the moment are lapsang souchon (it tastes like smoked eel) and finest quality jasmine green tea. I also drink chinese herbal teas that you dissolve, they are incredibly sweet with cane sugar and honey, something that gets you through the day :smile:

Monique said:
My favorites at the moment are lapsang souchon (it tastes like smoked eel)

That one is definitely an acquired taste! I have some of it in my cabinet too. The first time I tried it, I hated it. It reminded me of burnt rubber. But, I think that was simply because the taste was entirely unexpected and so strong, my tastebuds got very confused. Since then, I've learned to appreciate a nice cup of that once in a while. I prefer it in winter, since it tastes so strong and "heavy" to me, so seems good on a very cold day.

Moonbear said:
That one is definitely an acquired taste! I have some of it in my cabinet too. The first time I tried it, I hated it. It reminded me of burnt rubber. But, I think that was simply because the taste was entirely unexpected and so strong, my tastebuds got very confused. Since then, I've learned to appreciate a nice cup of that once in a while. I prefer it in winter, since it tastes so strong and "heavy" to me, so seems good on a very cold day.
I guess it is an acquired taste, we eat quite a lot of smoked eel in the Netherlands, so I am used to that smoked flavor. I guess most people wouldn't like having their tea taste like "eel", but the aroma of the tea is so wonderfully rich, I really like it a lot. You're right that it really is more of a winter tea.

I purchased some Fukamushi Sencha by Mayamoto, and when brewed correctly (between 160-175F), the taste of the first steep is nice and rich. Has a veggie taste to it but second steep it was rich and sweet. It doesn't taste bitter at all and has a smooth "green taste" to it (hard to describe, but not bitter).

I like it a lot! So far I've drank 5 cups of this tea through the day.

Chai with milk

_Mayday_ said:
I just prefer a cup of tetleys =]

Now that's more like it. I don't like all these crazy different teas that people are mentioning here: a good cup of tetleys (or other equivalent brand :wink:) suits me. And one of the options in the poll is black tea? :yuck:

Well it depends on what you drink tea for.

For people just trying to get a pep with that generic taste of black tea, then there's not really a need for variation.

Green teas come in various flavors and other than the healthy benefits of it, each type of loose-leaf have their own unique taste. Therefore it's not necessarily just for that pep.

I drink tea because of the different flavors and I love trying different types out. If i wanted a daily green tea, just give me some Fukamushi Sencha and I'd call it a day.

Earl Grey.