What type of wave is exhibited by amber waves of grain ?

In summary, "amber waves of grain" exhibit a longitudinal wave, where the grass moves in the direction of the wave. The period of time when the grass is bent can be considered as a compression, while the period of time it returns to its erect position can be seen as a rarefaction.
gerry73191
What type of wave is exhibited by "amber waves of grain"?

Homework Statement

What type of wave is exhibited by "amber waves of grain"/

Homework Equations

Transverse waves move particles in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

Longitudinal waves move particles in a direction parallel to the direction of the wave.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue. I youtubed "amber waves of grain", but frankly I can't tell what it is.

Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a field of tall grass rippling in the wind.

I'd have to guess, transverse, however, is the medium the grass or the air?

gerry73191 said:
I'd have to guess, transverse, however, is the medium the grass or the air?
It's a wave of grass. Which way does the grass move compared to the way the wave moves?

Here's a video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2463745023596275785&q=amber+waves+of+grain&ei=e-cMSPiwFZKc4gKltNSsBA&hl=en [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the grass moves in the direction of the wave and thus would be a longitudinal wave.

Could you also say that the period of time when the grass is bent represents the compressions and the period of time it returns to its erect position is the rarefaction?

gerry73191 said:
Oh, the grass moves in the direction of the wave and thus would be a longitudinal wave.
Good!

Could you also say that the period of time when the grass is bent represents the compressions and the period of time it returns to its erect position is the rarefaction?
Something like that. When the grass squashes together would be a compression.

thank you.

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without transporting matter.

2. What is the difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave is a wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while a longitudinal wave is a wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

3. How are amber waves of grain formed?

Amber waves of grain are formed by the movement of wind through fields of ripening grain crops, such as wheat, barley, or oats. The wind causes the plants to sway and creates a wave-like pattern.

4. Are amber waves of grain an example of a transverse wave or a longitudinal wave?

Amber waves of grain are an example of a transverse wave, as the plants move perpendicularly to the direction of the wind, creating a wave-like pattern.

5. Can amber waves of grain be seen in other types of crops?

Yes, the term "amber waves of grain" is often used to describe the appearance of any ripening grain crop, not just wheat, barley, or oats. So, it can be seen in other types of crops such as corn, rye, or rice.