1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What undergrad subjects should I take in preparation for postgraduate mathematics?

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm nearing the end of the first year of my undergraduate mathematics program. Starting next year I'll be getting a little bit more freedom in regard to what math subjects I can choose. I know it's a bit too early to worry about this but going on to do postgraduate studies in pure mathematics might be one of my options so I was wondering what subjects I should be taking from the following lists over the next three years:
    undergraduate courses
    graduate courses

Oh and this is the structure of the program I'm in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2
    Re: What undergrad subjects should I take in preparation for postgraduate mathematics

You can choose from any of them:

either 2011 or 2111
    2089 probably
    either 2120 or 2130
    2260 probably
    either 2501 or 2601
    either 2520 or 2602
    either 2801 or 2901
    either 2831 or 2931 probably

Not important:

2140 - applied maths course
    2241 - applied maths course
    2019 - mathemtical methods for engineering students
    2859 - applied maths course
    2871 - applied maths course
    2881 - applied maths course

Worry about courses which are beyond the second year only after you complete the second year courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook