What undergrad topics do astronomy grad programs expect you to have taken?

In summary, the conversation was about the requirements for an applied physics major track and the surprising advice given by the professor to skip differential equations and quantum mechanics. There was also discussion about whether courses in data analysis or advanced physics labs would be more useful for an aspiring astrophysicist. The idea of skipping such fundamental courses was deemed questionable and the option of transferring to another program or school was suggested.
astroman707
I was speaking with my prof about the requirements for the applied physics major track offered at my school, and she said some very surprising things.
Just for context, I’m interested in pursuing observational astrophysics/astronomy in grad school later.
She said that I can skip diff equations because physicists usually only use one type with their work, and all the additional theory taught in class isn’t necessary.
She also said that I can skip quantum mechanics because it’s very theoretical and isn’t needed to pursue observational astronomy/astrophysics.
What do you all think?
Would an astro grad program care more if I took some courses in data analysis or some advanced physics labs, rather than diff eq. and quantum?
What courses would be really useful to take for an aspiring astrophysicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems really weird to me - I can't imagine someone getting an applied physics degree without basic quantum and diff eq. I'm surprised he advised you to pass on quantum mechanics when so many observational techniques are the result of quantum effects (e.g., spectroscopy, diffraction gratings, etc.). I'm also surprised that diff eq isn't a prerequisite for other physics courses, like advanced mechanics.

astroman707 said:
She said that I can skip diff equations
astroman707 said:
She also said that I can skip quantum mechanics

Transfer.

Likes Dr Transport
I agree that the advice to skip quantum mechanics and differential equations is really bad.

But I'm not sure a transfer is necessary since the source of the bad advice is only a prof and may not be an official adviser.

OP: Let me see if I understand your situation: (1) You are planning to get a BS in applied physics. (2) For this major at your school, quantum mechanics and differential equations are not required, but are optional and, hence, can be skipped. If so, I'd say the program (not just one prof giving bad advice) is screwed up, and cast my vote to transfer [at least to another major, if not another school]. Just out of curiosity, what are the required courses for your degree?

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50
Have you looked up some graduate astronomy and astrophysics programs to see what they require or recommend for incoming students? In general, graduate physics programs expect students to have taken upper-division undergraduate courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics / statistical mechanics.

1. What are the basic courses required for an undergraduate degree in astronomy?

Most undergraduate astronomy programs require students to take courses in physics, calculus, and introductory astronomy. Some programs may also require courses in chemistry, computer science, and statistics.

2. Do I need to have a specific major to apply for a graduate program in astronomy?

No, most astronomy graduate programs do not require students to have a specific major. However, having a strong background in physics, mathematics, and astronomy is preferred.

3. Are there any specific courses that are highly recommended for students interested in pursuing a graduate degree in astronomy?

Yes, courses in astrophysics, observational astronomy, and advanced mathematics are highly recommended for students interested in pursuing a graduate degree in astronomy. These courses will provide a strong foundation for further studies in the field.

4. Can I still apply for a graduate program in astronomy if I haven't taken all the recommended courses?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a graduate program in astronomy even if you haven't taken all the recommended courses. However, you may be required to take additional courses during your graduate studies to catch up on any missing knowledge.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that astronomy graduate programs look for in applicants?

In addition to a strong academic background, astronomy graduate programs also look for applicants with research experience, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and a passion for the field of astronomy. Experience with computer programming and data analysis is also highly valued.