• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What unit of measure is this

• Thread starter Mesmer
  • Start date
1.A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex] 2.45\frac{Mg}{m^3}[/tex] determine the weight of the column in pounds

The answer is given as 1.04 kip: What is or what unit of measure is a kip?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

radou
Homework Helper
1.A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex] 2.45{Mg}_{m^3}[/tex] determine the weight of the column in pounds

This should come in handy: http://www.physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenB8.html".

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A google search tells me: A kip is "A unit of weight equal to 1,000 pounds (455 kilograms)" http://www.answers.com/topic/kip

Edit: radou beat me to it!

Thank you I was editing my post and you answered it!

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1.A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex] 2.45\frac{Mg}{m^3}[/tex] determine the weight of the column in pounds

The problem says "determine the weight of the column in pounds" and then gives the answer in kip?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Apparently, "kip" means "kilo-pound." I consider the whole thing to be an egregious abuse of notation.

- Warren

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Apparently, "kip" means "kilo-pound." I consider the whole thing to be an egregious abuse of notation.

- Warren
I agree, I wasn't aware that metric prefixes were used with imperial units. I've never seen this before!