What Does Kip Mean in Measurements?

In summary, a concrete column with a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m has a weight of 1.04 kip (equivalent to 1,000 pounds or 455 kilograms) due to its density of 2.45 Mg/m^3.
Mesmer
1.A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex] 2.45\frac{Mg}{m^3}[/tex] determine the weight of the column in pounds

The answer is given as 1.04 kip: What is or what unit of measure is a kip?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mesmer said:
1.A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex] 2.45{Mg}_{m^3}[/tex] determine the weight of the column in pounds

This should come in handy: http://www.physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenB8.html".

Last edited by a moderator:
A google search tells me: A kip is "A unit of weight equal to 1,000 pounds (455 kilograms)" http://www.answers.com/topic/kip

Edit: radou beat me to it!

Thank you I was editing my post and you answered it!

Mesmer said:
1.A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex] 2.45\frac{Mg}{m^3}[/tex] determine the weight of the column in pounds

The problem says "determine the weight of the column in pounds" and then gives the answer in kip?

Apparently, "kip" means "kilo-pound." I consider the whole thing to be an egregious abuse of notation.

- Warren

chroot said:
Apparently, "kip" means "kilo-pound." I consider the whole thing to be an egregious abuse of notation.

- Warren

I agree, I wasn't aware that metric prefixes were used with imperial units. I've never seen this before!

1. What is the difference between standard units and non-standard units of measure?

Standard units of measure are commonly used and internationally accepted units, such as meters, liters, and grams. Non-standard units are more specific and may vary in different regions or industries, such as inches, gallons, or pounds.

2. How are units of measure standardized?

Units of measure are standardized through international organizations, such as the International System of Units (SI) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). These organizations establish and maintain consistent units of measure for use in science, trade, and everyday life.

3. Why is it important to use the correct units of measure in scientific experiments?

Using the correct units of measure is essential in scientific experiments because it ensures accuracy, reliability, and consistency in data and results. It also allows for easy communication and comparison between different experiments and researchers.

4. What are derived units of measure?

Derived units of measure are combinations of base units that are used to measure quantities that cannot be measured directly with a single unit. For example, velocity is measured in meters per second, which is a derived unit from the base units of length and time.

5. How can units of measure be converted from one system to another?

Units of measure can be converted from one system to another by using conversion factors or conversion formulas. Conversion factors are ratios that relate the two units, while conversion formulas involve mathematical equations to convert between units. It is important to use reliable sources and double-check calculations when converting units to ensure accuracy.