Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What viscoplasticity is.

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    I was wondering what viscoplasticity is. I am familiar with viscoelasticity, but I heard the term viscoplasticity mentioned in an internet article the other day and I did not know what was meant by it.

Could anyone give me a general definition or a good link? I searched myself with a simple google search, but I could not seem to find anything helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi RPI, a 'general' definition .......

usually viscoplasticity is used as a synonym for rate dependent plasticity when the strain rate is low, and with respect to metals the usual application is then creep deformation (in general high strain rate applications, dynamic events, do fall under the same principle category, but usually viscoplasticity is used to refer to time-dependent plastic creep response - but in principle the general definition is simply rate dependent plasticity). So "analogous" to your knowledge of viscoelasticity except with plastic deformations (with highly differing material models of course). For example with respect to creep typical viscoplastic models are the ones like the Power-law creep (Norton-Bailey), Hyperbolic creep law family, etc.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?