1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What volume flow rate will keep the pressures in the two horinontal pipes the same?

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A liquid is flowing through a horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.02m. The pipe bends staight upward through a height of 10.0m and joins another horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.04m.

2. Relevant equations
    what volume flow rate will keep the pressures in the two horinontal pipes the same?

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried to use p1+1/2xpxv1^2+pgh1=p2+1/2xpxv2^2+pgh2..
    any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2
    Re: what volume flow rate will keep the pressures in the two horinontal pipes the sam

I think you are dealing with the same formula I found in a Physics text:

p_1 + rho*(v_1)^2/2 +rho*g*y_1 =
    p_2 + rho*(v_2)^2/2 +rho*g*y_2

Set y_1 = 0, y_2 = 10m, set p_1 = p_2 = p, and we know v_1 = v_2/4 (assuming incompressible flow)

and we are left with one equation and one unknown. Note the p's cancel along with the rho's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook