What % volume of this floating object is submerged?

In summary, an object of oil-water mixture density (.5 g/cm3) will be underwater and under oil proportionally to its density.
5P@N

Homework Statement

An object of 985 kg/cm^3 density is placed in water, which has a density of 1000 kg/m^3.
What percentage of the object will be floating above the water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

985/1000 = .985, or 98.5%. 100 - 98.5 = 1.5%. Therefore: 1.5% of this object will float

Correct? Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's the right answer, but I don't see any analysis to convince me you did anything more than pull some numbers out of the air. I'd like to see some discussion of the physics, as applied to this problem. The objective is to learn how to apply the physics, and not just to guess the right answer to a specific problem.

5P@N said:

Homework Statement

An object of 985 kg/cm^3 density is placed in water, which has a density of 1000 kg/m^3.

Did you mean to express the densities in two different units?

Mister T said:
Did you mean to express the densities in two different units?
Yeah, an object with a density of 985 kg/cc will sink like the proverbial stone. :rolleyes:

OOPS!

I meant: cubic meters, not cubic cm for the object's density

At the time I originally posted, I had difficulty expressing my rationale behind my answer, but upon thinking about it later, I came up with the following, subject to approval...

Obviously, an object which is less dense than another will float. But how much will submerge? When placed in the water, the floating object will continue to displace water, until the total weight of the water displaced is equal to the total weight of the object. Once this point is reached, the force of gravity is counterbalanced by the water's bouyancy, and it floats. This begs the question: "how much water will be displaced in terms of volume?" Well, since the water is more dense than the object, a smaller volume will be displaced. The displaced volume has an equal weight of the object. Thus: by dividing the less dense object by the denser fluid displaced, the percentage volume of the object that is submerged, which is equal to the volume of displaced water, is determined. Subtracting 100 from this give the percentage that floats.

5P@N said:
Obviously, an object which is less dense than another will float. But how much will submerge? When placed in the water, the floating object will continue to displace water, until the total weight of the water displaced is equal to the total weight of the object. Once this point is reached, the force of gravity is counterbalanced by the water's bouyancy, and it floats. This begs the question: "how much water will be displaced in terms of volume?" Well, since the water is more dense than the object, a smaller volume will be displaced. The displaced volume has an equal weight of the object. Thus: by dividing the less dense object by the denser fluid displaced, the percentage volume of the object that is submerged, which is equal to the volume of displaced water, is determined. Subtracting 100 from this give the percentage that floats.

I'm not sure if your instructor will find that response acceptable. You don't explain quantitatively why the volume ratio should be exactly the same as the density ratio. There are ways to explain it using ratio reasoning, but the usual approach is to use equations. Start with the balance of forces, which you explained perfectly well, by the way, and then make substitutions for the quantities on both sides. Factors will cancel and you'll be left with an equation with a volume ratio on one side and a density ratio on the other.

Would you be willing to give an example?

Sure. An object has a density of 750 kg/m3 so 75% of it's volume is submerged when it floats on water.

5P@N said:
Would you be willing to give an example?
Let V be the volume of the object, and let f be the fraction of its volume below the surface. In terms of V and f, what is the volume below the surface? What is the displaced volume of water? What is the weight of the displaced volume of water? What is the buoyant force? What is the weight of the object? What is the equilibrium force balance on the object?

Chet

what if a solid was floating between two liquids, oil and water for example, how do you calculate the percentage of the solid that is underwater and under oil.help.

The thread in which you are posting is from 2015. This being the homework forum, you are required to post your question in a new thread, use the template that is provided and show your attempt before assistance can be offered.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What does it mean for an object to be "submerged"?

Submersion refers to the state of being completely or partially immersed in a liquid or other medium. In this context, it refers to the portion of the object that is below the surface of the liquid it is floating in.

2. How do you calculate the % volume of an object that is submerged?

The % volume of an object that is submerged can be calculated by dividing the volume of the submerged portion by the total volume of the object, and then multiplying by 100.

3. What factors affect the % volume of an object that is submerged?

The % volume of an object that is submerged is affected by the density of the object, the density of the liquid it is floating in, and the shape and size of the object.

4. Can the % volume of an object that is submerged change?

Yes, the % volume of an object that is submerged can change if the density of the object or the liquid it is floating in changes, or if the object is altered in shape or size.

5. Why is it important to know the % volume of an object that is submerged?

Knowing the % volume of an object that is submerged is important for understanding its buoyancy and stability in a liquid, as well as for determining its weight and density. This information is also useful in various scientific and engineering applications, such as designing boats and other floating structures.