The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
Evo said:
It was steam-engine powered, 144 ft long and 39 ft in diameter, contained 88,000 cu ft of coal gas, and could go up to 6.7mph.
Henri Giffard's steam powered dirigible.

In addition to his famous equations, Maxwell was the first person to make a particular kind of visual representation that is ubiquitous nowadays. What was it?

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Henri Giffard's steam powered dirigible.
Damn you're good! Yep, it was considered the first successful dirigible that was controlable, back in 1852.

In addition to his famous equations, Maxwell was the first person to make a particular kind of visual representation that is ubiquitous nowadays. What was it?[/QUOTE]

colour photography, but didn't SUTTON? share in this achievement.

it covers approx 900 hectares, and is nearly 2500 YRs old
what is it?

wolram said:
what is it?

The world's largest living thing. A fungus?

Edit: added question mark to sound less pompous.

Last edited:
wolram said:
what is it?
Nikopolis? Or Saqqara, perhaps more famous.

Last edited:
i thought that one would take a few guesses, you guys are just to
good.

So, was it the fungus among us or Saqqara? (I'm an ancient history, archaeology buff)

Dating back to 1400 BC it was considered to be the omphalos of the world. It was built around a natural spring.

So, was it the fungus among us or Saqqara? (I'm an ancient history, archaeology buf
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/869808.stm
Researchers in the US have found what is probably the largest living organism on Earth.

It is a fungus that is growing through the Earth and roots of trees in the Malheur National Forest in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon

ever been on a dig EVO?

Last edited:
Delphi. i remember seeing or reading an article not to long ago

ever been on a dig EVO?[/QUOTE]No. :frown: A friend of mine did get me an invitation to go on one here some years ago, but I wasn't able to due to work conflicts. :frown: :frown:

I've wanted to be an archaeologist since I was three, my bookshelves are lined with every book imaginable on ancient history, antiquities and archaeology. My dad wouldn't pay for my college if I wanted to go into a field of science, he said I wouldn't make any money (my other love is astronomy). So, now I make money and hate my job.

Delphi is correct! They now believe that there was a gas that causes severe hallucinations that was emitted from the spring, which caused the Oracle to have visions.

Last edited:
its been an un fullfilled passion of mine to go on a dig, we have a program called TIME TEAM on tv, I've watched every one.
i can't think of a what was is it, open to anyone.

Where I currently live was once under sea and fossils from the ordovician period are quite easily found near the surface. I have quite a collection of brachiopods, Crinoids (one almost 12 inches long), etc... bryozoans from the Upper Pennsylvanian period. I am going out tomorrow to collect more samples.

My neighbors must think I am nuts, coming home with a car load of rocks and sitting with my hose and a magniying glass and camera examining them.

My neighbors must think I am nuts, coming home with a car load of rocks and sitting with my hose and a magniying glass and camera examining them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
and your neighbors are probably more knowledgeable of tv programs,
you are lucky to live in fossil rich area, the only ones i see are inbeded
in concrete.

anyone have a what was, is it?

These provide a pulsed peak power of some 200 milliwatts at 77 Fahrenheit (25 Celsius) and about 100 milliwatts at 127 Fahrenheit (50 Celsius).

Last edited:
wolram said:
colour photography, but didn't SUTTON? share in this achievement.
Correct about Maxwell. I don't know if anyone else was involved.

These provide a pulsed peak power of some 200 milliwatts at 77 Fahrenheit (25 Celsius) and about 100 milliwatts at 127 Fahrenheit (50 Celsius).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this has to be a laser the PPP is a give a way.

two furlongs each way, with gates of solid brass; BC.
what was it?

wolram said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this has to be a laser the PPP is a give a way.

But what LASER? She must have something special in mind.

wolram said:
what was it?

The stadium at Olympia?

Ivan Seeking said:
But what LASER? She must have something special in mind.
hmmmmmmmm didn't think about that, and to be honest i don't have
a clue so EVOs question is unanswered.

The stadium at Olympia?
no, you will have to work religiously hard to find this one, :biggrin:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new devices, called quantum cascade (QC) lasers, are examples of a fundamentally new type of laser invented here only two years ago. The new versions are about 25 times more powerful than their predecessors.

wolram said:
what was it?

Within the ancient city of Babylon, "the sacred precinct of Jupiter Belus, a square enclosure two furlongs each way, with gates of solid brass".

From The History of Herodotus
http://www.bibleprobe.com/herodotus.htm

*my garden is calling me. wolram - take it away!

wolram said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new devices, called quantum cascade (QC) lasers, are examples of a fundamentally new type of laser invented here only two years ago. The new versions are about 25 times more powerful than their predecessors.
Wolram, you are phenomenal! :smile:

Tsunami said:
Within the ancient city of Babylon, "the sacred precinct of Jupiter Belus, a square enclosure two furlongs each way, with gates of solid brass".

TSUNAMI
correct *** *** and i thought that was difficult

Wolram, you are phenomenal!

is that some new kind of green fuel :smile:

which made it possible for the system to produce vacuums exceeding one millionth of an atmosphere.
what was it?

wolram said:
which made it possible for the system to produce vacuums exceeding one millionth of an atmosphere.
what was it?
The Geissler mercury vacuum pump with improvements by Crookes.

The Geissler mercury vacuum pump with improvements by Crookes.
OK you are zooby correct

A little more that 180 feet high, this was destroyed to prevent its suspected use by the Germans.

Russia's Zaporozhe Dam?

Ivan Seeking said:
A little more that 180 feet high, this was destroyed to prevent its suspected use by the Germans.

A machine that generates amusing jokes?