Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What was the best console?

1. Sega Megadrive/Genesis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sega Mastersystem

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Sega Saturn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. NES

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. SNES

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. N64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Nintendo Gamcube

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Xbox

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Playstation

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. PS2

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Nov 20, 2003 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

What do you think is/was the best games console. I personally am torn between the Xbox and the Sega Megadrive

The Xbox because it is IMHO the best performing Console out with great graphics, though only a few games are worth getting!

The Megadrive because it was ULTIMATE! and also because of the game 'Flashback' which i think was the first game to model the protagonists movements on actual human movements..very lifelike!

What is your favourite and why?

ps. Ignore the spelling of 'Gamecube' i have just seen it! would some kind mentor change it please?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2
    ATARI!

Even though you didnt put it on there....the best system has to be the Atari! the original *for me* game system. Makes me wish i had mine again....so since you dont have atari on there [?] I voted for the next best...the nes. The length of those games beat out most of todays junk!

-Ty

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

Yeah unfortunately you only get 10 slots for the poll, so i put the more recent ones on i suppose. I also didnt bother with handheld games other wise i suppose the Gameboy and Sega Gamegear may have creeped in somewhere (and we all know that Amiga and Atari ST were computers and not just games machines!)

Keep posting!

5. Nov 20, 2003 #4
    Neo Geo was awesome! Metal Slug!

6. Nov 20, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

The PC is the best. I can play console games under emulation.

7. Nov 20, 2003 #6
    The SNES is by far the greatest games console ever, and always will be no matter what. Had the best platform game evermade on it, i am obviously talking about Super Mario World the most adictive platform game i have ever played. Then there was street fighter and the Origional Mortal Kombat the 2 best fighting games ever and then there was super mario kart, does multiplayer gaming get any better than super mario kart? I think not.

Oh and just because a console has superior graphics then it doesnt mean its a superior console.

8. Nov 20, 2003 #7

megashawn

Science Advisor

Aww poo. I meant to vote for the ps2. Any possibility to change it?

Also, you should edit the poll to ps2, since it plays 1 and 2 games, replace the ps1 with neo-geo.

Mostly because it plays all the ps1 games, and ps2 games. On the PS1, there was Gran Turismo 1 and 2, and the ps2 has GT3 A-Spec.

Not to mention the best Final Fantasy games are on the PS2.

Atari, Nes, Snes, sega, Coleco Vision, Neo-Geo, commadore(spell) can all be emulated on computers now.

9. Nov 22, 2003 #8
    xbox cuz it kills! j/k i have either owned/played all but 2 consoles to date and the xbox is my favorite. it has the size, the feel, and the power, all wrapped up into one cozy little package that makes games fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?