What was the initial velocity of the rocket

In summary, the problem involves a fireworks rocket exploding into two equal-mass pieces at the top of its trajectory. The pieces hit the ground at t1 and t2 seconds after the explosion. To find the rocket's launch speed, the max height of the rocket before the explosion is first found using kinematic equations. Then, the energy equation is set up with the velocity of each piece represented by gt1 and gt2. However, this approach does not take into account the unknown amount of KE introduced by the explosion. A more effective method may be to analyze the explosion itself and determine a relationship between the vertical velocity components immediately after the explosion.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A fireworks rocket is launched vertically upward, and explodes into two equal-mass pieces at the top of its trajectory. The pieces hit the ground at t1 and t2 seconds after the explosion. What is the rocket’s launch speed? Assume no air resistance.

Homework Equations

v1 = velocity of mass (t1)
v2 = velocity of other mass(t2)
hmax = max height of rocket

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the max height by kinematic equations with ma=-mg and then rearranged that height in terms of the initial velocity of the rocket. I set up the energy equation (2m)ghmax = (1/2)mv12+(1/2)mv22. I replaced the velocity of mass 1 with gt1 and of mass 2 with gt2 and solved for the initial velocity. Assuming I have done the math correctly, does this approach make sense? Am I missing a concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any clue for us helpers as to what are the given/known data ? You make it look as if only t1 and t2 were given !

Those are the only givens - that's all you need

The final answer needs to only be in terms of t1,t2 and g is a known constant so that's fine too. The other variables I represented were ultimately in terms of t1,t2 at the end. But is the physics right?

I see. Why ##v_1 = gt_1## ?

Because if I solve for the velocity of one of the masses using Newtons laws then it comes out to v1 = gt1. The initial velocity is zero because the rocket is at 0 velocity at the moment it splits into two, so I didn't include it. t1 was given at the time for which the mass hits the ground - so I assumed v1 = gt1 is the velocity at the time it hits the ground.

In that case ##t_1## and ##t_2## would be equal, right ? Both start at the same height and with the same vertical velocity ...

Yes, lol. Thank you.

Vitani11 said:
I found the max height by kinematic equations with ma=-mg and then rearranged that height in terms of the initial velocity of the rocket.
You found the max height of what, and how? Suppose the explosion launched one piece directly upwards and the other directly downwards with some velocity each. The maximum height of one piece will not be the same as that of the other, and their unknown vertical speeds will complicate things.
I set up the energy equation (2m)ghmax = (1/2)mv12+(1/2)mv22. I replaced the velocity of mass 1 with gt1 and of mass 2 with gt2 and solved for the initial velocity. Assuming I have done the math correctly, does this approach make sense? Am I missing a concept?
How do you account for the unknown amount of KE introduced by the explosion? Any vertical component added to the speeds of the pieces will affect the timings.

I think I'd take a closer look at the explosion itself and determine a relationship between the vertical velocity components immediately after the explosion, then write equations for the vertical motion for each.

I found the max height of the rocket still intact before exploding into two pieces. I have shown that when the pieces explode they are then going in opposite directions - I will work with this. I think I can solve this now, thanks

1. What is initial velocity and why is it important for a rocket launch?

Initial velocity is the speed at which a rocket starts its journey. It is an important factor in determining the trajectory and success of a rocket launch. If the initial velocity is too low, the rocket may not be able to overcome the force of gravity and reach its intended destination. If the initial velocity is too high, it may cause the rocket to veer off course or even break apart.

2. How is the initial velocity of a rocket calculated?

The initial velocity of a rocket is calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the rocket, the mass of the propellant, and the specific impulse of the rocket engine. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the velocity of the rocket at a specific point in its launch trajectory.

3. Can the initial velocity of a rocket be changed once it has launched?

No, the initial velocity of a rocket cannot be changed once it has launched. This is because the rocket engines are only active during the initial stages of the launch. After that, the rocket relies on its momentum and trajectory to continue its journey.

4. How does the initial velocity of a rocket affect its maximum altitude and speed?

The initial velocity of a rocket directly affects its maximum altitude and speed. The higher the initial velocity, the higher the maximum altitude and speed the rocket can reach. However, the initial velocity is not the only factor that determines these values as other factors such as air resistance and gravity also play a role.

5. Is the initial velocity of a rocket constant throughout its journey?

No, the initial velocity of a rocket is not constant throughout its journey. As the rocket burns its propellant and loses mass, its velocity will change due to the conservation of momentum. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and gravity can also affect the velocity of the rocket.