Searching for a Classic Physics Textbook with Autostereograms

In summary, the conversation discusses a classic Physics textbook that contained illustrations of 3D vectors using autostereograms. The speaker cannot remember the name of the textbook and is unsure if it was published before the "magic eye craze" of the 1990s. They ask for confirmation or denial from anyone who may know. Another person suggests the textbook may be "Methods of Theoretical Physics" by Morse and Feshbach, which includes real stereo images of functions. A link to the book is provided.
Cutter Ketch
Perhaps this is a fever dream, but I seem to recall a classic Physics textbook that had illustrations of 3D vectors using autostereograms. However, I can't remember which one (or find any evidence that I'm not making this up). I also have the notion that this was very early, well before the magic eye craze of the early nineties. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cutter Ketch said:
Perhaps this is a fever dream, but I seem to recall a classic Physics textbook that had illustrations of 3D vectors using autostereograms. However, I can't remember which one (or find any evidence that I'm not making this up). I also have the notion that this was very early, well before the magic eye craze of the early nineties. Can anyone confirm or deny?

It was definitely not a dream (or we shared it). I think it was Morse and Feschbach. But these were real stereo images of functions suitable for stereopticon or practiced eyes.

Methods of Theoretical Physics. Morse and Feshbach. 1953. McGraw-Hill Book Company.
https://jontalle.web.engr.illinois.edu/MISC/Books/Methods_of_Theoretical_Physics_vol.1_Morse_and_Feshbach.pdf

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a classic physics textbook with autostereograms?

A classic physics textbook with autostereograms is a textbook that combines traditional written explanations and diagrams with autostereograms, which are 3D images that can be seen by crossing one's eyes or using a special viewing device. This allows for a more immersive and interactive learning experience.

2. How can I find a classic physics textbook with autostereograms?

There are several ways to find a classic physics textbook with autostereograms. You can search for it online on websites such as Amazon or eBay, or you can check with your local library or bookstore to see if they have any copies available. You can also reach out to physics professors or experts in the field for recommendations.

3. What are the benefits of using a classic physics textbook with autostereograms?

Using a classic physics textbook with autostereograms can enhance your understanding and retention of the material. The 3D images can help you visualize complex concepts and make connections between different topics. It can also make learning more engaging and enjoyable.

4. Are there any downsides to using a classic physics textbook with autostereograms?

One potential downside is that not everyone is able to see autostereograms, as it requires a certain level of eye coordination. Additionally, some people may find it uncomfortable or even nauseating to view autostereograms for extended periods of time. It's important to take breaks and not force yourself to view them if you feel any discomfort.

5. Can I still learn from a classic physics textbook with autostereograms if I can't see the images?

Yes, you can still learn from a classic physics textbook with autostereograms even if you can't see the images. The written explanations and diagrams are still valuable resources for learning the material. You can also try using a viewing device or asking a friend to describe the images to you. However, if you are unable to see the images at all, it may be better to use a different textbook without autostereograms.