What was the unsolved prime equation?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation was about an unsolved prime number equation called the Riemann Zeta Function, which was discussed in a math class. The equation predicts the location of prime numbers on a linear graph and has the potential to be used for hacking computer algorithms. The man who developed it was named Riemann, but the equation remains unsolved and unproven. It is also known as the "Riemann Hypothesis."
Jarfi
What was the unsolved prime number equation?

Ok so at math today my teacher told us just for fun about a math equation(wasnt really paying attention) this equation is an equation that tells where on a linaer graph prime numbers are zero, it was able to predict a prime number or something on a linaer graph. I think it was this guy http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannZetaFunction.html but those equations don't look like in my math class.
+∞
The equation goes something like this: (t)z=∑(and something more here it think)
z

He said that this equation could predict all prime numbers and if someone would be able to solve it witch has not been done yet, he could hack all kinds of computer algorithms and break into bank systems just by finding the solution to this equation??

oh and i do remember ∞ being above ∑

The guy who made this equation was rienn... something I just can't remember what his name or the equations name was.

Could you tell me what equation this is?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The 9th equation on the site you linked is likely the one you saw in class

Yes, that is what your teacher was referring to. However, there is no "solution to the equation." The man who developed a lot of it, riemann, basically suggested that besides the negative even integers (-2, -4, -6, etc.) that all numbers that make his zeta-function ,[tex]\zeta[/tex](s), equal 0 are complex numbers with real part 1/2. The big issue is that he suggested this over 150 years ago, with no real proof, and no one has since been able to fully prove it. The function also tells helps explain things about prime numbers, and other fun things. This is known as the "Riemann Hypothesis."

What was the unsolved prime equation?

The unsolved prime equation refers to the conjecture known as the Riemann Hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line with a real part of 1/2.

Why is the Riemann Hypothesis important?

The Riemann Hypothesis has significant implications in number theory, as it would provide a deeper understanding of the distribution of prime numbers. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and physics.

Who came up with the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis was first proposed by Bernhard Riemann in 1859 in his paper "On the Number of Primes Less Than a Given Magnitude." However, many mathematicians have contributed to the study and development of the hypothesis since then.

Has anyone proven the Riemann Hypothesis?

No, the Riemann Hypothesis remains unsolved and is considered one of the most challenging problems in mathematics. Many mathematicians have attempted to prove or disprove it, but no one has been able to provide a definitive answer yet.

What would be the consequences if the Riemann Hypothesis is proven to be true?

If the Riemann Hypothesis is proven to be true, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of prime numbers and their distribution. It would also have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer security. However, if it is proven to be false, it would also lead to new discoveries and advancements in mathematics.