Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What was your worst first date?

1. May 25, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just watched a show on tv that had a segmment about that gawd awful fast food Mongolian Barbecue and it brought back memories of the first time I had ever been there.

A guy asked me out for a first date, it was for lunch. He chose Mongolian Barbecue.

Ok, I don't know this guy. I drive to this place and find him among the hoards of rushed business people looking for a quick meal.

We get in line in front of a confusing series of food bins containing raw ingedients. I have no idea what to do, but follow the signs "choose one meat", "choose a vegetable", "choose some noodles", choose a sauce". There is a throng of people lined up behind me. Out of desperation, I start flinging stuff into my bowl so I don't hold up the line.

I end up waiting in line in front of some huge grill manned by a group of teenagers tossing the contents of the bowls handed to them. Finally a teenager finishes tossing my food on the grill, dumps it into a bowl and hands it back to me. My date starts looking around for a place to sit. We eventually find a place and there I am, with a bowl of things I can't recognize, amid a crowd of very noisy people. I eat the food, which was at least edible, although not something I would ever order and try to make polite conversation, while shouting loud enough to be heard over all of the noise. We finish, I get in my car and drive off, never seeing the guy again.

For a first date, remember, location, location, location.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2
    I don't know what's wrong with you, but Mongolian Barbecue is freaking great.

4. May 25, 2009 #3
    I went on a first date to the movies. Yea I know it wasn't a good idea, but didn't realize she would bring all her friends too. Six or ten people tagged along with her, some were couples, others were single little brats.

They all sat in a row behind me and my date, watching us carefully like hawks. I was like wtf? We didn't talk much either, she constantly turned to her friends talking. I was going to run the second I saw her with her gang, but for some reason kept cool.

5. May 25, 2009 #4

Evo

Heheh, I figured someone might like it. :smile: It's the Luby's Cafeteria of Michigan style serve yourself stir fry. Yes, the inventor is a guy from Michigan.

Now that, would frighten me!!!

6. May 25, 2009 #5
    That's funny because I also took this girl to a mongolian place for lunch but she never called me back. All I got was a lousy UCLA t-shirt in the mail with a 'it's not you, it's me' note.

7. May 25, 2009 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

owned.

Wait, why a UCLA tshirt?

8. May 25, 2009 #7
    She sent you a t-shirt? As in, "I Went Out on a Date with Such And So and All I Got Was a Lousy T-Shirt"? Hee!

Oh, sorry.

9. May 25, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, my worst first date. Actually it was not just a first date, it was an only date.

A guy had been flirting with me for some time...I even remember his name, Ray. I wasn't sure of Ray, I had mixed feelings about him. He was the kind of guy who looked good on paper - a great resume - but I got weird vibes from him.

So, he asked me out. I thought, oh, ok, it's just a date. He suggested breakfast at a place he said was the best breakfast place around.

A breakfast date...I had never heard of that, but it appealed to me. By design it would only be a few hours.

We showed up at the place, and it was filled with all his buddies...turns out this was a regular hang out for all of them. They all start congratuating him, insinuating that this was a "morning after" breakfast!!! And he did nothing to refute it :surprised !

I didn't even see that one coming.

10. May 25, 2009 #9

Evo

:bugeye: :rofl: That's pretty bad!

11. May 25, 2009 #10
    That's hilarious! :rofl: I mean, what a scumbag, why I ought ta..!!

12. May 25, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The worst date? Probably the one where I was told right up front that she didn't believe in premarital sex.

But that is the only reason we went out, thought I!?!?!? :grumpy:

13. May 26, 2009 #12

Astronuc

That sounds like the food court near the corporate office in SD. There's about a dozen little shops the sell various ethnic foods - but no Mongolian grill. It's noisy, except for outside, which is just crowded. Not a place I would take a date at lunchtime. In fact, there aren't too many places that aren't crowded and noisy at lunchtime. I know a couple of hole-in-the-wall places that are actually next-door to each other - one is Turkish/Persian and the other is Japanese (sushi, sashimi and noodle dishes) - but they require someone who enjoys that particular cuisine.

One of my worst dates (I had a few in the beginning) was a blind date that I set up myself. I had left a note in her dorm mailbox, after I had seen her at a dance. Another girl I knew in the same dorm reported that this one girl was really excited and curious. Well - when I met her, I could see she was disappointed. She was apparently expecting a taller man - like a football player. To make matters worse, I had injured my knee that evening while jumping over a chair at my dorm, and I was limping pretty severely as we walked to an on-campus movie (Paper Chase, IIRC). She was very nice though.

After the movie, I walked her back to her dorm, and we said good night. I knew at that point we'd probably not be going out again. We had occasional encounters on campus, and they were always cordial.

14. May 26, 2009 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I like Mongolian BBQ. I certainly wouldn't consider it fast food...all the ingredients are fresh and you can mix whatever you want. It was a favorite when I was in grad school, but then, at that time, you could still go back as many times as you wanted. Now they put a limit of only one trip per person, so it's an art to mound the food up in the bowl so you get a decent meal after it has all shrunken down from cooking. Of course, the key is to entirely ignore the instructions. Though, I agree it would be a bad place for a first date, because you spend so much time standing in lines and then the places are usually pretty noisy, so not an easy place to get to know someone.

I've been lucky; I haven't had any bad first dates, unless they were so bad that I've blocked them all from my memory. Usually, things go downhill after the first date rather than on the first date (I guess I only date guys who have at least mastered the art of the first date, even if they are completely clueless about everything after that). Though, I wish they had been bad first dates...it would have saved me the time and trouble of subsequent dates or boring, clingy guys.

15. May 26, 2009 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I've been lucky too. I've never really had a first date to go wrong. :tongue:

16. May 26, 2009 #15

Astronuc

I'm not familiar with Mongolian BBQ, except possibly for one in a mall in SD, and that was probably on a weekend, so the lines weren't too bad, and it wasn't that crowded.

Based on Evo's description ("some huge grill manned by a group of teenagers tossing the contents of the bowls handed to them"), the particularly Mongolian BBQ does seem like a fast food place, especially at lunchtime. I'd be leery of a group of teenagers tossing my food onto a grill.

During my university days, there was a small Mongolian grill that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, it wasn't popular, so it didn't last long. The owner actually cooked the meal and it was kind of like teppanyaki that one sees in some Japanese restaurants. The patrons would sit around the grill and select ingredients, meats, vegetables, etc, and the chef prepared the meal and placed it in front of the patron. It was a rather laid back and relaxed place.

I don't like noisy, crowded places, so taking someone on a first date to Mongolian BBQ sounds like a really bad idea.

17. May 26, 2009 #16

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is that like not believing in Santa Claus? :wink:

18. May 26, 2009 #17

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

:yuck:

"So, how do you like your eggs in the morning?"
    "Unfertilized."

19. May 26, 2009 #18
    I'm not fond of Mongolian BBQ... but that's largely because years ago a crazy friend had a whole gang of us drive to Columbus OH from Dayton OH (about an hour) to have the experience (which she raved about). We were not impressed. There would have certainly been better places to eat in Columbus for the hour's drive. This was before Dayton had one of the franchise establishments.... and it too, certainly had better places!

20. May 26, 2009 #19
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

21. May 26, 2009 #20
    That's easy. It was my first date with Stella de la Belladonna. When I went to pick her up at her house, the whole family was there and I was introduced one by one. There was her mother Do[itex]\tilde{n}[/itex]a Donna, and her sisters Lisa, Mona, Gioconda, and Ingrid. Along with the introductions were a lot of these subtle criticisms about my dirty t-shirt and jeans, about my untrimmed beard, about my long hair and about my feet on the furnature. They asked me where I would take her and I suggested we snag some Chinese takeout and head back to my pad. However, the scowl on her face indicated that she was in no mood for noodles. So I said we'd eat Italian at Momma Yolanda's. At dinner I told her I didn't think much of her family on account of how critical they were. Although she didn't say anything, from the look on her face I could see that they made her angry too. Then came the bill. Surprise! I hadn't budgetted for such a fancy restaurant so Stella had to help out with most of it. When I took her back to her house, I started pulling off her blouse, but she struggled free and ran inside. What a lousy date.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook