What was your worst first date?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: This was not going well. I was uncomfortable, he was uncomfortable, and his buddies were making fun of us. I tried to leave, but he wouldn't let me. I was so frustrated, I just left. On a breakfast date, stick to places you know. This guy looked great on paper, but I got the weird vibes and it did not go well.In summary, this guy took me on a breakfast date and his buddies made fun of us.
I met a guy at gym, pestered me for a while to go on a date with him...finally decided to give it a try...real hottie...pretty slow on the uptake though, as I discovered during the date. But to conclude a rather boring experience...a rather nasty surprise. All ended with him saying, "can u get the bill cos I don't have any cash on me"...<gag>...haven't seen that fool ever again.LOL

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
You mean that people are not informed about the NDE phenomenon, or that we are? ;-p

I exaggerate when I say that she didn't see the difference. I'm fairly certain she was just trying to cover for her lack of knowledge by saying she thought they both fell under the NDE umbrella. Or perhaps she felt I was diminishing her experiences.
I have the feeling she would have no problem believing her hair was having an Out-of-Body experience when she ran out of hair conditioner.

phyzmatix said:
Well, it wasn't her fault that her little sis decided to have a go so we did see each other a couple more times after that, but it didn't last long (that relationship was destined to fail :biggrin:)
I would feel weird going back after a family member attacked me. Or the family dog, for that matter. On the other hand I might go back until the opportunity for the little sister to have an "accident" occurred: "Whoops! I accidentally squirted that whole tube of superglue and now Janie's glued to the chair!"

zoobyshoe said:
I would feel weird going back after a family member attacked me. Or the family dog, for that matter. On the other hand I might go back until the opportunity for the little sister to have an "accident" occurred: "Whoops! I accidentally squirted that whole tube of superglue and now Janie's glued to the chair!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TheStatutoryApe said:
You mean that people are not informed about the NDE phenomenon, or that we are? ;-p

I exaggerate when I say that she didn't see the difference. I'm fairly certain she was just trying to cover for her lack of knowledge by saying she thought they both fell under the NDE umbrella. Or perhaps she felt I was diminishing her experiences.

Or maybe she did know what the difference was, but considered the type of NDE you meant to be total hogwash and at that point decided you were a big flake for believing your friend's story and wanted out fast. That's the sort of topic where you just have no idea what the other person might be thinking as you're discussing it. Here's a rule of thumb...avoid talking about death on a first date. :wink:

FireSky86 said:
Being hard of hearing since birth could be a reason for it.

I read somewhere that it was embarrassing for Thomas Edison and his wife to be in public because she always had to shout at him. He eventually taught her Morse Code and what to others was a sweet couple holding hands was actually a private conversation, each one tapping out messages to the other in code.

Moonbear said:
Or maybe she did know what the difference was, but considered the type of NDE you meant to be total hogwash and at that point decided you were a big flake for believing your friend's story and wanted out fast. That's the sort of topic where you just have no idea what the other person might be thinking as you're discussing it. Here's a rule of thumb...avoid talking about death on a first date. :wink:

:confused:She brought up the topic.
My friend has a giant scar on his chest from surgery due to the puncture in his lung and absolutely believes that he went to the other side. I never declared any belief that he actually went there myself. I only related the story as something she might find interesting.
So women don't like to hear interesting stories in line with the topics they bring up?
No wonder I think women are crazy. ;-p

lisab said:
Ah, my worst first date...

So what did you do at the breakfast? Slap him in the face and call him pig?

misgfool said:
So what did you do at the breakfast? Slap him in the face and call him pig?

You know, I didn't even really catch on to what was happening at first...guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake for such things. Plus I was pretty young. So I didn't really do anything - I didn't know the proper way to handle such a situation...which I believe is to smile, dump a glass of orange juice on his head, and leave after a few choice words.

lisab said:
You know, I didn't even really catch on to what was happening at first...guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake for such things. Plus I was pretty young. So I didn't really do anything - I didn't know the proper way to handle such a situation...which I believe is to smile, dump a glass of orange juice on his head, and leave after a few choice words.

Another great aspect of OJ, versatility.

lisab said:
I didn't know the proper way to handle such a situation...

The proper way is to make disparaging comments about his manhood and his sexual prowess.

TheStatutoryApe said:
:confused:She brought up the topic.
My friend has a giant scar on his chest from surgery due to the puncture in his lung and absolutely believes that he went to the other side. I never declared any belief that he actually went there myself. I only related the story as something she might find interesting.
So women don't like to hear interesting stories in line with the topics they bring up?
No wonder I think women are crazy. ;-p

No, I mean she might have thought she was bringing up the topic she was actually discussing...the near miss types of experiences. When you started talking about someone thinking they went to the "other side", she may have just assumed you believed it was true to share it and interrupt her story with what she viewed as a completely different topic.

But, yeah, she's the one who started the topic of death...I wasn't directing that comment specifically to you, just a general caution that it's probably not a particularly good topic for a first date. Her choice of topic was weird too.

Vanadium 50 said:
The proper way is to make disparaging comments about his manhood and his sexual prowess.

:rofl: Yep, pretty much. Unfortunately, when you have such a jaw-dropping experience, it's sometimes difficult to think of that needed witty retort when you need it. You end up smacking your palm to your forehead on the way home, thinking, "THAT'S what I should have done!"

lisab said:

A swift knee to the wedding veg would probably have been acceptable as well.

Cyrus said:
That's funny because I also took this girl to a mongolian place for lunch but she never called me back.
You dated Evo?

Pengwuino said:
What exactly do you call those kinds of situations? Like the missing a plane flight that crashes or walking out of a building right before it explodes or crazy stuff like that? Any cool technical term? haha, other then "coincidence".
No technical term I know of. Maybe "brush with death"?

Luck. See Ringworld.

Moonbear said:
Here's a rule of thumb...avoid talking about death on a first date. :wink:

:rofl:

I hadn't thought of that one, Moonbear, but I think it may well be print-worthy.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Yep, pretty much. Unfortunately, when you have such a jaw-dropping experience, it's sometimes difficult to think of that needed witty retort when you need it. You end up smacking your palm to your forehead on the way home, thinking, "THAT'S what I should have done!"

Pretty much. I almost always think of the stellar commentary way, way after the fact.

Well, I asked this girl to come to a play that was at our college. So, I got a little dressed up, did my hair nice, and start walking over to her place so we can walk there together.

I get a phone call from her saying she'll be about 10 minutes late. We all know in college girl terms, that means 20 minutes. So, I wait. After 15 minutes I just went to the play myself, and we agreed to just meet there.

So right in the middle of Act 1, the back doors open, i hear lots of talking, and four girls come walking in. You know, the really annoying kind who have sparkly sunglasses with the surface area of a parking lot. Three of them were her friends. Need I say more?

KingNothing said:
Need I say more?

Yes. Assuming you'd purchased seats for the play in advance, where did the extra women sit?

How to choose the worst!

Maybe it was the date where I borrowed a friend's car for the date. I picked her up at her place and remembered to open the door for her - and it fell off. In fact, the car would get shorter when you stepped on the brake and longer when you stepped on the gas. Moral: get richer friends.

Or the girl I asked out in a dimly lit bar. When I went to pick her up, her sister answered the door instead of her and they look a lot alike. I'm standing there weighing the options. If I ask if her sister is available and it's actually my date, then it's a major disaster. If I greet her as my date and it's her sister, it's a disaster, but probably not as big a disaster as asking mistakenly asking for her sister. I went with the second option and it was kind of embarrassing, but survivable. Moral: never ask out anyone you meet in a bar - it may turn out they really like bars (okay, that moral probably wasn't obvious from the story).

Or the date that decided what we were doing was boring and recommended we go to her favorite bar, instead. She wound up running into some of her friends and left with them. Moral: bars are bad. Or, the alternative moral: don't be boring on a date - but that's a depressing moral so I'll go with the first. :rofl:

My worst first date was my first first date. We went to see the movie Midnight Express. Trust me, this is not a first date type of movie.

[EDIT]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Express_(film)#Synopsis
[/EDIT]

Cyrus said:
That's funny because I also took this girl to a mongolian place for lunch but she never called me back. All I got was a lousy UCLA t-shirt in the mail with a 'it's not you, it's me' note.
Here's an idea:
"I went on a date with ____ and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"​

Pengwuino said:
What exactly do you call those kinds of situations? Like the missing a plane flight that crashes or walking out of a building right before it explodes or crazy stuff like that? Any cool technical term? haha, other then "coincidence".
A narrow escape?

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
We went to see the movie Midnight Express. Trust me, this is not a first date type of movie.
OMG. That reminds me of one of my first dates (first for this paticular person). The movie was Quest for Fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Fire_(film)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Movies are always lousy first dates, especially X-rated ones (unless it stars the Ivory Snow girl, of course, which would be a topical first date since she just died).

BobG said:
Movies are always lousy first dates, especially X-rated ones (unless it stars the Ivory Snow girl, of course, which would be a topical first date since she just died).

Hah! I once took a girl on a first date to "Candy" an R rated flick staring Ringo Starr. It was really bad. We walked out after 10 minutes.

Only once did I take a girl to an X rated flick on the first date. The movie was "Midnight Cowboy" and rated X when it first came out.