What waterpressure will turn waterwheel to produce 2kW of power with 1.6litres a sec?

• Thread starter matthewgill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the minimum pressure required for a waterwheel to produce 2kW of electricity with 1.6 liters-per-second of water flow is 1.25 MPa. This takes into account the assumption that water is incompressible and does not take into account any losses in efficiency. If considering efficiency, other factors such as the size of the wheel, frictional losses, and electrical losses must be taken into account. In one example, with an outlet pressure of 0 psig and an isentropic efficiency of 80%, an inlet pressure of 227 psig is needed to produce 2kW.
matthewgill
I require 2000W of Electricity from a waterwheel (which can be any size). I only have 1.6 litres-per-second MAX, but any pressure.

What pressure of water will I need to turn that waterwheel so it produces 2kW with 1.6 litres of water per second?

If possible, please take efficiency into account, specify the size of wheel you have chosen and explain how you’ve done it.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

If you can have any pressure it doesn't matter what kind of waterwheel you use. You can get any amount of energy out of it.

I mean, there is no maximum. But obviously I would like to keep it as low as possible and still produce the 2kW with the 1.6 litres p/s... otherwise I am wasting the excess unnecessary energy...

Pressure = Energy / Volume = Power / Flow = 2000/1.6E-3 = 1.25 MPa pressure differential.
So there's your theoretical minimum. Assuming water is incompressible.

Those are odd constraints. You aren't confusing static fill pressure with the dP across the turine, are you?

I don't believe so, no.

For russ_ watters : what do you calculate the minimum pressure required to be if I needed 2000W and only had 2.5litres per second of water?

1.6/2.5 the first answer...

efficiency is another matter and depends how you define it...simple way is to assume a steady state rotation at fixed revolutions...
the water wheel has frictional losses and any generator has electrical losses...
including heat...likely you can find typical generator or alternator losses online...how much a typical water wheel loses in efficiency might be difficult to find...Sounds like you are delivering power locally but if it's distributed over long distances I believe half the power might be lost in transmission lines...virtually none is lost in wiring if power is delivered all local and is not stepped up and down via transformers with their own losses...

alxm said:
Pressure = Energy / Volume = Power / Flow = 2000/1.6E-3 = 1.25 MPa pressure differential.
So there's your theoretical minimum. Assuming water is incompressible.

This formula is ok providing the coeficient is 100 %. Good for first approximation.

Hi matthew'. So tell us about the use for this thing. How are you getting the water pressure? Why 1.6 liters per second?

The first law of thermo reduces to Hin - Hout = work for an expander/turbine. Throw efficiency into the mix...

If I assume an outlet pressure of 0 psig and an isentropic efficiency of 80% (fairly nominal for typical turbines) then I get an inlet of 227 psig needed to produce the 2 kW. I had to do a few conversions to my spreadsheet and this is only a 2 minute analysis, so there's a chance I screwed something up but I think it's ok.

1. What is the formula for calculating water pressure?

The formula for calculating water pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column.

2. How do I determine the required water pressure to produce 2kW of power?

To determine the required water pressure to produce 2kW of power, you will need to know the flow rate (in liters per second) and the efficiency of the waterwheel. Then, you can use the formula P = Qρghη, where Q is the flow rate, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and η is the efficiency of the waterwheel.

3. What is the typical efficiency of a waterwheel?

The typical efficiency of a waterwheel can range from 30-70%, depending on the design and size of the wheel. However, it is important to note that the efficiency can vary greatly based on factors such as the type of waterwheel, water flow rate, and head height.

4. How much water flow rate is needed to produce 2kW of power?

The required water flow rate to produce 2kW of power depends on the efficiency of the waterwheel. Generally, the higher the efficiency, the lower the flow rate needed. For example, with an efficiency of 50%, a water flow rate of 1.6 liters per second would be sufficient to produce 2kW of power.

5. Can I use a waterwheel to generate electricity for my home?

Yes, it is possible to use a waterwheel to generate electricity for your home. However, it may not be a practical or cost-effective solution for most homes. The size and flow rate of the waterwheel needed to produce enough power for a typical home would be quite large and may not be feasible for most residential properties.