Unconventional Food Combinations: Exploring Unique Tastes and Preferences

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: I put a small amount of barbecue sauce in my mac and cheese.I don't really think that's weird, it's just a different way to put sauce on mac and cheese. I put salt on bacon (I think this is normal but everybody around me disagrees).I also don't think that's weird, everyone does it differently. I put chocolate milk powder in my cereal.Again, that's not weird, people put different things in their cereal.
I like snails "escargot bourguignonnne". That is so good, and oysters rockefeller. My oyster stew. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
how could i have forgotten raw oysters? with HOT cocktail sauce?? haven't been able to eat them though because it was recommended to me not to eat raw fish while expecting :frown:

blah! blah! blah!

Do people eat snails raw?

I was wondering when Kerrie would chime in. She must be at that point where the weird cravings are kicking in leading her to eat all sorts of strange things. :tongue2:

A guy married into Tsu's side of the family won $5000 by eating a slug sandwich. It was for a radio contest in Portland. First he put the slugs into a blender and then spread them on the bread. He even practiced once to see if he could do it...:yuck:

Ivan Seeking said:
A guy married into Tsu's side of the family won $5000 by eating a slug sandwich. It was for a radio contest in Portland. First he put the slugs into a blender and then spread them on the bread. He even practiced once to see if he could do it...:yuck:

hahaha... so he didn't just eat a slug sandwhich once, but twice! wow... that's a real winner there.

I used to feed dog treats to my siblings all the time. I'd tell them they were cookies and i'd say "close your eyes and open your mouth" sadly, that actually worked... more than once.

Gale17 said:
I used to feed dog treats to my siblings all the time. I'd tell them they were cookies and i'd say "close your eyes and open your mouth" sadly, that actually worked... more than once.
hee hee.
I used a slightly more tantalizing version when we were kids:

open your mouth,
and close your eyes,
and I will give you,
a big surprise!

:biggrin:

Evo said:
I like snails "escargot bourguignonnne".
How many keyboards did you wear out typing that?

lol that "nnn" makes me think that's not how its spelled...

Kerrie said:
haven't been able to eat them though because it was recommended to me not to eat raw fish while expecting :frown:
Nobody's fault but your own. A little Super Glue and a cork could have prevented that. :approve:

Pengwuino said:
lol that "nnn" makes me think that's not how its spelled...
bourguignonne, I had one too many nnn's :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
hee hee.
I used a slightly more tantalizing version when we were kids:

open your mouth,
and close your eyes,
and I will give you,
a big surprise!

:biggrin:

That's the version I tried too, but I guess I have to give my sister credit for being smarter than I thought...she never fell for it after the first time.

Moonbear said:
That's the version I tried too, but I guess I have to give my sister credit for being smarter than I thought...she never fell for it after the first time.
Could be that Gale's siblings just like dog biscuits. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Could be that Gale's siblings just like dog biscuits. :smile:

I have an aunt who likes dog biscuits. She just decided to try one one day when she was training her dog, and decided they made a good snack. But she's also the crazy aunt who wears shorts and sandals in the middle of winter.

Hey, I was serious, do people eat raw snail.

I also like BBQ'd Coelacanth.

Ivan Seeking said:
I also like BBQ'd Coelacanth.
you also like frozen broccoli. Don't forget that one.

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey, I was serious, do people eat raw snail.

I don't know how common it is, but I'm sure there's someone with a little brother and a garden full of snails...:yuck: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
I don't know how common it is, but I'm sure there's someone with a little brother and a garden full of snails...:yuck: :rofl:
ha ha :rofl: :rofl: That took me a minute to get the full visual...

Moonbear said:
Lakes have snails; gardens have slugs.

Evo said:
I like snails "escargot bourguignonnne".
I love escargot too, but only get it every few years. Can't afford it. In my area those of my social class refer to it as "slugs in a camper".

Danger said:
I love escargot too, but only get it every few years. Can't afford it. In my area those of my social class refer to it as "slugs in a camper".
:rofl: They can toss away the snails, I just want to dip my brad in that garlic butter sauce. :approve:

Evo said:
:rofl: They can toss away the snails, I just want to dip my brad in that garlic butter sauce. :approve:
oohh! Who's Brad? :tongue2: :!)

Math Is Hard said:
oohh! Who's Brad? :tongue2: :!)
Damn! You beat me to it. :grumpy:

ShawnD said:
Lakes have snails; gardens have slugs.

There are land snails too. Escargot snails are raised on land on snail ranches. Once before when the subject of snails came up, I found a USDA site that described everything you ever wanted to know about snail farming. Ride 'em snailboy! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
There are land snails too. Escargot snails are raised on land on snail ranches.

I remember the days of the great snail drives, from the Black Hills of Dakota to the Sacramento Valley. It was really slow going in those days.

JasonRox said:
I used to eat raw meat, right out of the package. I stopped because apparently it is really bad for you.
I still eat raw vegetables, from potatoes to brocolli.
I had a friend that used to eat raw hot dogs, and she didn't like them cooked.
Raw vegetables are friggin awesome! I love sliced potatoes.

polyb said:
As for bread and olive oil, when I was cooking we made a blend of olive oil with garlic, spices, salt, and pepper that we called 'mill butter' for the bread that was served. It was really good!
Breadsticks, you get from teh pizza place, I'll only eat those reheated with marinaria sauce and my personal olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, chili powder, and parmesan solution.

Evo said:
My dad got me addicted to buttermilk with tabasco sauce and salt and pepper. I'd give anything to have a glass of that right now!
Sounds errr... healthy.

ShawnD said:
Right now I'm dipping bread in soy sauce.
I put cheese wiz on apples.
I put a small amount of barbecue sauce in my mac and cheese.
I put salt on bacon (I think this is normal but everybody around me disagrees).
I put chocolate milk powder in my cereal.
A guy I knew dipped bread in olive oil.
My best friend puts ketchup on his steak.
Bread and soy sauce? That sounds really good, I think I'll put my toast in tomarrow morning.
When I was a kid I used to like celery and ketcup, I used to eat it all the time, until I lost my front teeth.
I put salt on EVERYTHING... I tell ya, everythings better with salt, until it "overpowers" the flavor of the food.
Chocolate milk powder on cereal? I was very impressed when I first tried that a few months ago, now I won't eat mini-wheats without Ghiredelli cocoa powder mix. It makes the cereal surprisingly much better!
If I don't have any gravy, or flavor enhancers as such, I always use ketchup!

Anyone had seaweed before? I don't like it, Its too flavorless.

PHP:
buttermilk with tabasco sauce and salt
Sorry Evo, but that's just wrong. :uhh:

I hate cooked veggies..and eat all of mine raw. I also dip chicken strips in peanutbutter.

Mk said:
Anyone had seaweed before? I don't like it, Its too flavorless.

Not really favourless.. Sometimes it depends on the type of seaweed you're eating. Just add some lemon and garlic and it'll taste great! :wink:

When I was a kid and staying over at my buddy's house, his Swedish dad fixed us breakfast: He fried some bacon, made toast, and broke out some maple syrup. Hmmm, okay so far... But then he poured the bacon grease on the toast, added butter and lots of syrup, and served it up with bacon on the side. No kidding!

Ivan Seeking said:
But then he poured the bacon grease on the toast, added butter and lots of syrup, and served it up with bacon on the side.
Are you sure he was Swedish? That sounds French-Canadian to me. Up here our bacon (side type, not back that Yanks call Canadian) is often cured with maple.

Ivan Seeking said:
When I was a kid and staying over at my buddy's house, his Swedish dad fixed us breakfast: He fried some bacon, made toast, and broke out some maple syrup. Hmmm, okay so far... But then he poured the bacon grease on the toast, added butter and lots of syrup, and served it up with bacon on the side. No kidding!

:yuck: My stepfather did that, except he didn't even bother toasting the bread. Is it any wonder he's way overweight and having trouble controlling his diabetes? :bugeye:

Are you sure he was Swedish?

Actually...after thinking about, he was Danish.

My stepfather did that, except he didn't even bother toasting the bread. Is it any wonder he's way overweight and having trouble controlling his diabetes?

It's a wonder he's alive. How many grams of bacon grease is in just one slice of toast...? :yuck: And we're talking about lard here! It's probably a criminal offense to feed this to a kid now. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Actually...after thinking about, he was Danish.
Well then... there you go. (And following Simpson's First Law of Location--no matter where you go, there you are.*)

*this is also copyrighted by Omni magazine

Ivan Seeking said:
It's a wonder he's alive. How many grams of bacon grease is in just one slice of toast...? :yuck: And we're talking about lard here! It's probably a criminal offense to feed this to a kid now. :biggrin:

Yeah, you know it must be bad when even a kid thinks it's too gross to eat! :yuck: I was much happier when I moved away from home and could cook for myself (you know it's really bad when college dining hall food looks good in comparison to your parents' home cooking).

Moonbear said:
Yeah, you know it must be bad when even a kid thinks it's too gross to eat! :yuck: I was much happier when I moved away from home and could cook for myself (you know it's really bad when college dining hall food looks good in comparison to your parents' home cooking).

I LOVE dining hall food! OH MY GOD, I WISH MY MUM COOKED THAT WELL! My mum gave up on cooking and buying groceries a LONG time ago. i haven't eaten this good in ages! I love actually having 3 meals a day, at regular times, and decent varieties of food. I hate going home, i always eat so poorly there. I think the food is one of the biggest reasons i like college so much.