Unconventional Food Combinations: Exploring Unique Tastes and Preferences

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: I put a small amount of barbecue sauce in my mac and cheese.I don't really think that's weird, it's just a different way to put sauce on mac and cheese. I put salt on bacon (I think this is normal but everybody around me disagrees).I also don't think that's weird, everyone does it differently. I put chocolate milk powder in my cereal.Again, that's not weird, people put different things in their cereal.
On my baked potato i like to put a little butter, then salt, then peper, then a little diced green onions and bacon bits, then smother it with sour cream, then peper the hell outta it then more green onions and bacon bits. In that exact same order for 15 years!

Dont even get me started on ordering a steak and baked potato at a restaurant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
When I was a kid and staying over at my buddy's house, his Swedish dad fixed us breakfast: He fried some bacon, made toast, and broke out some maple syrup. Hmmm, okay so far... But then he poured the bacon grease on the toast, added butter and lots of syrup, and served it up with bacon on the side. No kidding!
Syrup on bacon grease!? :yuck:

Actually, my mom would take the pan drippings (from a lamb or beef roast) and we'd use that on bread or toast, as opposed to butter (too expensive).

My father had a vegetable garden for fresh vegetables and raised chickens. I used to garden with my father, and occasionally help prepare a chicken for dinner.

As for weird foods (well weird for most, but normal for me) - pretty much every organ in cattle, pig, sheep/lamb or chicken. Fried lamb or cow brains is pretty good, except now I would have second thoughts given Mad Cow disease.

Last edited:
Fried lamb or cow brains is pretty good

My grandmother allegedly liked brains with eggplant but I never saw her eat it.

Anyway, here you go Astronuc:

http://photopile.com/photos/godzillatemple/fark/83045.jpg
http://64.81.51.213/fpm/entry.php?sid=5927533&cid=794898

Last edited by a moderator:
ShawnD said:
I put a small amount of barbecue sauce in my mac and cheese.

That is pretty good actually. Especially the sweet barbecue sauce.

Ivan Seeking said:

Ohh... nooo... :rofl:

OMG, that's just DISGUSTING! And I don't get disgusted easily. :yuck:

My best friend from Italy was fascinated with American style bacon, except he didn't like it cooked, he would only eat it raw. :eek:

Evo said:
My best friend from Italy was fascinated with American style bacon, except he didn't like it cooked, he would only eat it raw. :eek:
Can you spell 'tryckanosis'? (I can't. :biggrin: )

Evo said:
OMG, that's just DISGUSTING!
This from someone who drinks, and I quote: buttermilk with tabasco sauce and salt and pepper?! :yuck:

Danger said:
Can you spell 'tryckanosis'? (I can't. :biggrin: )
trichinosis

I was a spelling bee champ. :redface:

I am SO boring. :frown:

Danger said:
This from someone who drinks, and I quote: buttermilk with tabasco sauce and salt and pepper?! :yuck:
Well at least it didn't have any BRAINS in it!

Ivan Seeking said:
My grandmother allegedly liked brains with eggplant but I never saw her eat it.

Anyway, here you go Astronuc:

:uhh: You might try cooking the brains first! :wink: :yuck:

Evo said:
Raw ham is delicious, try this:
Bake a bun, add butter, a slice of ram ham, top with a sauce of mustard and oil, on top of that goes a slice of melon and some fresh garden cress :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: yummy!

Evo said:
Well at least it didn't have any BRAINS in it!
Neither did Sylvia...

Ivan Seeking said:
Actually...after thinking about, he was Danish.

It's a wonder he's alive. How many grams of bacon grease is in just one slice of toast...? :yuck: And we're talking about lard here! It's probably a criminal offense to feed this to a kid now. :biggrin:
I was thinking about the cold climates, which require more calories to burn. Like primitive man, who would leave the lean cuts behind when butchering--otherwise they would die of protein starvation. Things have changed, haven't they though?

Monique said:
I don't eat weird things anymore (like cow stomach, fish intestine
I'm not a picky eater, but that would gag a maggot. :yuck:

Evo said:
I am SO boring. :frown:
You are SO not! Hey! Who bit the end off of that h? :tongue2:

my grandparents ate scrambled eggs with brains...there wasen't much left of a animal when they decided to eat it. I should mention Grandpa died at 104 and Granny still fends for herself at 103.

I don't think that this qualifies as weird, but I'll share it anyhow. My favourite cold-weather food is a 435ml can of Campbells Chunky split-pea and ham soup with a can of Tenderflake or similar ham mixed in, along with a tablespoon or 2 of cayanne powder and/or some of those little dry chilis that you get for pizza. The gastrointestinal ramifications might not be socially acceptable, but it warms me up. :approve:

Last edited:
:eek: ahhh so now we know were all the methane is coming from !

hypatia said:
:eek: ahhh so now we know were all the methane is coming from !
Don't knock it! With the price of fuel these days, that hose from the driver's seat to the carbeurator saves a fortune. :approve:

but the back fires must be tremendous...

hypatia said:
but the back fires must be tremendous...
Yup. :approve: The only car in town with functional afterburners. Great for extra passing power. :biggrin:

I eat dead animal, i think that's weird enough.
Ok, but seriously, would NEVER eat it again, but i work on a Deli; and i ate what i though was spicy meat balls, there were indeed balls of meat, and indeed spicy, but were not reformed...

Padford said:
there were indeed balls of meat, and indeed spicy, but were not reformed...
Ah... prairie oysters! Considered something of a delicacy around here, served at branding time. (Won't go near them myself, though. :yuck: )

I happen to know people who regard squirrel heads as a delicacy. Only the fur is normally removed. They are usually served deep fried, or in a stew. Some prefer them pickled and put them in a big jar of brine like boiled eggs. The sight can be vaguely disturbing - although children find it mesmerizing.

I just can't get myself to eat a pickeled egg..lol let alone a pickeled head!

Chronos said:
I happen to know people who regard squirrel heads as a delicacy. Only the fur is normally removed. They are usually served deep fried, or in a stew. Some prefer them pickled and put them in a big jar of brine like boiled eggs. The sight can be vaguely disturbing - although children find it mesmerizing.

I take it you're from the south. Only southerners seem to think anything is edible if you deep fry it or pickle it. :yuck: For me, if it isn't a vegetable or fruit, it doesn't belong pickled.

Chronos said:
Oh. Ugh.

That's just WRONG!

Chronos, you've just ruined my dinner. :eek:

Moonbear said:
For me, if it isn't a vegetable or fruit, it doesn't belong pickled.
Uncle Frank wasn't quite a vegetable, and no one inquired into his fruitiness, but he was pickled most of the time. :biggrin:

Cheddar cheese and chocolate chips together!

Cheap cheesecake! yum! :biggrin:

i heard that in asia peple eat living monkey's brains,is that true? :tongue2:

stoned said:
i heard that in asia peple eat living monkey's brains,is that true? :tongue2:
I'm pretty sure that the monkeys expire during preparation. :biggrin:

since we speak about food, worst thing i ate and actually at that time liked it a lot was soup made from duck blood, :yuck:

stoned said:
since we speak about food, worst thing i ate and actually at that time liked it a lot was soup made from duck blood, :yuck:
Never heard of that one, but my Portuguese friends when I was a kid had blood pudding on special occassions.

Evo said:
Oh. Ugh.

That's just WRONG!

Chronos, you've just ruined my dinner. :eek:
Interesting. Just how did you know a pickled squirrel head looks like - :eek: Did you also know, if you squeeze, it looks like this -