What were the original speeds of the cars?

• Thread starter Libohove90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary: Finally, solve for v1.In summary, the two cars had different masses and initial speeds, but after increasing their velocities by 7.0 m/s, they ended up with the same kinetic energy. By setting up and solving an equation using the given information and using algebraic steps, it is found that the original speed of the first car was 4.9 seconds.
Libohove90

Homework Statement

One car has twice the mass of a second car, but only half as much kinetic energy. When both cars increase their speed by 7.0 m/s, then they have the same kinetic energy. What were the original speeds of the two cars?

Homework Equations

Initial, K1 = 1/2 K2

Final, K1 = K2

m1 = 2m2

K=1/2 mv^2

v1 = 1/2 v2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since K1 = K2 after the cars' velocities were increased by 7.0 m/s, I can write:

1/2 m1 (v1+7.0 m/s)^2 = 1/2 m2 (v2+7.0 m/s)^2

Since I know m1 = 2m2, I plug it in and I get

1/2 * 2m2 (v1+7.0m/s)^2 = 1/2 m2 (v2+7.0 m/s)^2 and then simplified:

m2 (v1 + 7.0 m/s)^2 = 1/2 m2 (v2 + 7.0 m/s)^2, and then simplified again:

2(v1 + 7.0 m/s)^2 = (v2 + 7.0 m/s)^2

I know that by the initial conditions given, 2v1 = v2 and I plug it in and get:

2(v1 + 7.0 m/s)^2 = (2v1 + 7.0 m/s)^2 and then I get rid of the squares and get:

Sqrt 2 (v1 + 7.0 m/s) = (2v1 + 7.0 m/s)

I start having trouble from here on. According to my teacher's notes, the step after the previous equation above given is v1 = 7.0 / sqrt 2, giving the answer of v1 = 4.9 seconds. Where did that come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Distribute the sqrt(2) in the left hand side over both terms. Then collect like terms on each side of the equation (so that everything that multiplies v1 is on one side, and everything that multiplies 7 m/s is on the other side). Then, solve for v1. On the other side of the equation, you'll have a fractional expression multiplying 7 m/s. Rationalize the denominator of this expression and simplify.

1. What is the significance of knowing the original speeds of the cars?

Knowing the original speeds of the cars can help us understand the cause of the accident and determine the speed at which the collision occurred. This information can also be used to make improvements in car safety features and prevent similar accidents in the future.

2. How can the original speeds of the cars be determined?

The original speeds of the cars can be determined through various methods such as accident reconstruction, analyzing tire marks and damage to the vehicles, and using data from the car's black box or event data recorder.

3. Can the original speeds of the cars be accurately determined after an accident?

Yes, with the help of advanced technology and expert analysis, the original speeds of the cars can be accurately determined even after an accident. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the available evidence and the expertise of the investigators.

4. How does the weight of the cars affect their original speeds?

The weight of the cars can have a significant impact on their original speeds. Heavier cars generally have a slower acceleration and take longer to reach higher speeds compared to lighter cars. However, other factors such as engine power and aerodynamics also play a role in determining the original speeds.

5. Can the original speeds of the cars be used as evidence in legal proceedings?

Yes, the original speeds of the cars can be used as evidence in legal proceedings, especially in cases where the cause of the accident is in question. However, it is important to note that the accuracy and reliability of this evidence may be challenged by the opposing party and may require further analysis and expert testimony.