What happens to a cylinder in a closed tube as angular velocity increases?

• Thread starter giokrutoi
  • Start date
In summary, according to the homework statement, if w increases linearly, the cylinder will move out of the tube at a certain w. However, if there is a very large ω gained, the cylinder will fly out of the tube.
giokrutoi

Homework Statement

the tube is closed at the one end and there is a cylinder
if w increases linearly what will happen to the cylinder
see image attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess that there create vacuum will be created
and this will prevent cylinder from moving but if there is very big ω gained it will fly out at certain w
is that right

Attachments

• Sketch.png
    Sketch.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
giokrutoi said:

Homework Statement

the tube is closed at the one end and there is a cylinder
if w increases linearly what will happen to the cylinder
see image attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess that there create vacuum will be created
and this will prevent cylinder from moving but if there is very big ω gained it will fly out at certain w
is that right
What happens in-between?

Likes berkeman
2 parts to this problem:
1. For low w there are two radial forces acting on the core or whatever is inside the cylinder, balancing (not equal in magnitude!) to keep the core fixed in radial position.
2. at some critical w one of these forces disappears, resulting in radial motion of the core.
3. the following is not really a part of your problem but just for your information beyond the critical w there is also a tangential force developed. This force is proportional to w and to radial velocity and is necessary to keep the core rotating..

rude man said:
2 parts to this problem:
1. For low w there are two radial forces acting on the core or whatever is inside the cylinder, balancing (not equal in magnitude!) to keep the core fixed in radial position.
2. at some critical w one of these forces disappears, resulting in radial motion of the core.
3. the following is not really a part of your problem but just for your information beyond the critical w there is also a tangential force developed. This force is proportional to w and to radial velocity and is necessary to keep the core rotating..
so you say that it will increase it's displacement from the tube linearly as w increases linearly after some critical w
did I get it right?

Chestermiller said:
What happens in-between?
the force by w is so high that vacuum can't hold core inside and the rest space is then replaced by air

giokrutoi said:
the force by w is so high that vacuum can't hold core inside and the rest space is then replaced by air
?

If you increase w linearly with time you woud have to solve a 2nd order differential equation with a non-constant coefficient which is not solvable by separation of variables. But you can approximate for small dw/dt by assuming w nearly constant, then you get the same equation with constant coefficients & more easily solvable. But in any case the relationship between dx/dt and dw/dt is not linear, it's much more complicated involving hyperbolic sines and cosines. I suggest you not try to make linearity or other quantitative assumptions but just try to see what is happening qualitatively. Realize first of all that there is no force pushing out on the core once critical w is reached. There is always a vacuum on the inside and always atmospheric pressure on the outside.

rude man said:
If you increase w linearly with time you woud have to solve a 2nd order differential equation with a non-constant coefficient which is not solvable by separation of variables. But you can approximate for small dw/dt by assuming w nearly constant, then you get the same equation with constant coefficients & more easily solvable. But in any case the relationship between dx/dt and dw/dt is not linear, it's much more complicated involving hyperbolic sines and cosines. I suggest you not try to make linearity or other quantitative assumptions but just try to see what is happening qualitatively. Realize first of all that there is no force pushing out on the core once critical w is reached. There is always a vacuum on the inside and always atmospheric pressure on the outside.
so you assume that it won't come out of tube until critical w

giokrutoi said:
Have you drawn a free body diagram showing the forces acting on the mass? If so, please let us see it.

giokrutoi said:
Not assume - know! :smile:
Yes. w is the one number you should be able to compute and understand.
And do what chestermiller says.

Likes Chestermiller
so something like the image in attachment
where f =ma = w^2 r

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 329
giokrutoi said:
so something like the image in attachment
where f =ma = w^2 r
This is not correct. I still don't see a free body diagram and a radial force balance. How can you expect to solve this problem if you don't do this?

Also, are you aware that the acceleration in the radial direction is ##\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\omega^2 r##?

Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. I still don't see a free body diagram and a radial force balance. How can you expect to solve this problem if you don't do this?

Also, are you aware that the acceleration in the radial direction is ##\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\omega^2 r##?
SORRY but I don't know how to do that

Are you saying that you are being taught Physics, but you are not being taught how to draw and use Free Body Diagrams?

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that you are being taught Physics, but you are not being taught how to draw and use Free Body Diagrams?
nope I don't know it I m in high school

giokrutoi said:
nope I don't know it I m in high school
Are you trying to learn it on your own, or is this a high school course? Is there a textbook? If so, does the textbook discuss free body diagrams anywhere?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Are you trying to learn it on your own, or is this a high school course? Is there a textbook? If so, does the textbook discuss free body diagrams anywhere?

Chet
nope I saw it in teachers examine test and I am trying to figure it out which answer is correct and how it works.

giokrutoi said:
nope I saw it in teachers examine test and I am trying to figure it out which answer is correct and how it works.
Good luck

What will happen if ω goes up?

1. What is ω and why does it matter?

ω, or omega, is the symbol used to represent angular velocity, which is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or revolving. It is an important factor in many scientific and engineering applications, such as determining the stability of rotating systems or calculating the motion of planets in space.

2. How does increasing ω affect the motion of an object?

As ω increases, the rotational speed of an object also increases. This means that the object will complete more revolutions or rotations in a given amount of time. Additionally, the higher the ω, the greater the centrifugal force acting on the object, which can have implications for its stability and motion.

3. Can ω ever reach infinity?

No, ω cannot reach infinity. As ω approaches infinity, the object would be rotating or revolving at an infinitely high speed, which is not physically possible. There are always limitations to how fast an object can rotate or revolve, based on factors such as the object's physical properties and the forces acting on it.

4. How does ω relate to other variables, such as linear velocity or acceleration?

ω is related to linear velocity and acceleration through the equations ω = v/r and α = ω^2/r, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of rotation, and α is angular acceleration. These equations show that as ω increases, the linear velocity and acceleration also increase, but the relationship is not necessarily linear.

5. Can ω be negative?

Yes, ω can be negative. A negative ω indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction to the reference direction chosen. This can be important when analyzing the motion of objects, as it affects the direction of other variables such as angular acceleration and torque.