What will happen if our sun color blue?

• Thread starter Dr.ahmad adnan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Sun
In summary, the conversation is discussing what would happen if the sun's color were to suddenly turn blue. Some participants suggest that the Earth would no longer receive energy from the sun, leading to a white dwarf star, while others point out that this is an impossible hypothesis. Some speculate on the potential effects on life and the adaptation of plants and vision. The conversation becomes contentious and the thread is ultimately locked due to the lack of a clear question and the introduction of irrelevant information.
Dr.ahmad adnan

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Just like that? All of a sudden it turns blue? In that case you should probably make an urgent appointment with an ophtalmologist.

Otherwise what is your question?

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Dr.ahmad adnan said:
What is your point??

i don't know, i just want your opinions??

Dr.ahmad adnan said:
If our sun's color blue
the energy will not arrive to earth.
because our sun become a white dwarf star.
f(blue)>f(orange or yellow)

The problem with your question is that is is enssentially an impossible hypothesis, so it makes about as much sense to me as asking "what would happen if the Sun turned into a giant blueberry muffin ? "

You could ask however, how would life on Earth be if the Sun was blue ? I.e. it was a star of a much higher temperature - such as a white dwarf as Emmanuel_Euler commented on.

Last edited:
Likes Dr.ahmad adnan and Emmanuel_Euler
wabbit said:
The problem with your question is that is is enssentially an impossible hypothesis, so it makes about as much sense to me as asking "what would happen if the Sun turned into a giant blueberry muffin ? "
I agree

This is very reminiscent of that Will Ferrell skit "It's a simple question, doctor! Would you eat the moon if it was made of ribs? Hell, I'd have seconds, and flush it down with some cool suds."

Only very massive stars can be blue.

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan
Dr.ahmad adnan said:

We don't have to involve opinions. We have facts. The fact is that the Sun cannot be blue unless you view it through an appropriate filter. The laws of physics prevent it from outputting the majority of its light within the blue area of the spectrum.

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan and Emmanuel_Euler
Dr.ahmad adnan said:
Sun seems to be white because of heat energy which is caused by nuclear fission of hydrogen atoms on sun. Those atoms can't form blue colors heady energy. You are adding silly questions. This forum is of science not imagination :(:confused:

officialmanojsh said:
Sun seems to be white because of heat energy which is caused by nuclear fission of hydrogen atoms on sun. Those atoms can't form blue colors heady energy. You are adding silly questions. This forum is of science not imagination :(:confused:

Err... what? Nuclear fusion powers the sun, and I can't understand what the rest of your explanation is trying to say. The Sun is white in color because of its temperature. At about 5,800k, any object will glow white because the intensity of the light emitted in each wavelength within the visible spectrum is approximately equal.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
officialmanojsh said:
am...
first i think you should read the question carefully.
he did not say why our sun colored white??
he said what will happen...?
second you say that the science is not imagination,no you are wrong.but not all the parts of science.
and there are so many imagination threads here.
I think that drakkith corrected your answer.

Wow. Why not just speculate as was intended by the OP instead of wise-ass remarks about how impossible it is.
Blue light... hmmm, photosynthesis might be severely inhibited as it's currently optimized for the middle of the spectrum. I would think plants would adapt if they're able to get enough energy to survive at all. Eventually all foliage would turn blue I suspect. Also, the reduced overall energy of the sun's radiation would bring about an ice age. Or, if the colour blue was compensated for by increased total energy, I can't think of any other immediate consequences. Our colour receptors (vision) would have to adapt.

I think it's an interesting question.

I'm going to assume that this question is more about what would have happened over the past 4.5by IF the sun had been blue, not if it all of a sudden became blue.

Well, it's be a much bigger and hotter star, so life certainly wouldn't have evolved on Earth, our planet would probably look more like Venus. Mars might be inhabitable for a bit, but I'd think the more intense rays from the sun would strip it's atmosphere. Titan would be much more Earth-like, water and carbon based life would probably have started there instead.

scientific601 said:
Why not just speculate as was intended by the OP instead of wise-ass remarks about how impossible it is.

Speculating about what the OP was asking is even worse. Since the OP's question is vague and this thread is becoming bogged down in speculation and nonsense I am locking it.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler

1. What would cause the sun to turn blue?

The sun's color is determined by its temperature, which is mainly due to the fusion process happening in its core. As the sun burns through its hydrogen fuel, it will eventually run out and start fusing helium. This change in the sun's fuel will cause it to expand and change color, potentially turning blue.

2. Will the Earth be affected if the sun turns blue?

Yes, the Earth will be affected if the sun turns blue. The change in the sun's color would also indicate a change in its temperature and energy output. This could have a significant impact on the Earth's climate, potentially leading to colder temperatures and changes in weather patterns.

3. How long would it take for the sun to turn blue?

The sun's transformation from a yellow star to a blue star would not happen overnight. It would take millions of years for the sun to use up its hydrogen fuel and start fusing helium. It would also take some time for the sun's outer layers to cool down and change color.

4. Would life on Earth be able to survive with a blue sun?

It is difficult to say for certain, as the effects of a blue sun on Earth's ecosystem would depend on several factors. However, it is possible that the changes in the sun's energy output and temperature could have a significant impact on life on Earth, potentially leading to extinctions and major adaptations for survival.

5. Has the sun ever turned blue in the past?

There is no evidence to suggest that the sun has ever turned blue in the past. However, there are other stars in the universe that are naturally blue, and it is possible that the sun could eventually transform into a blue star in the distant future.