What will happen if two fermions, like electrons, come together

In summary, if two fermions, like electrons, have the same quantum numbers, the probability of finding them close will be small. If they are not identical, they will reach a limit in proximity where they cannot be brought any closer due to the Pauli exclusion principle.
touqra
What will happen if two fermions, like electrons, having the same quantum numbers are brought very close to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean by 'same quantum numbers' what I think you mean, then the propability of finding them close will be small.

P.S.
Quantum objects aren't very easy to manipulate, I think. Especially if you want to keep them in their original state.

touqra said:
What will happen if two fermions, like electrons, having the same quantum numbers are brought very close to each other?

It depends. If they are tied to some nucleus, each of their energy levels splits up and one of them (irrelevant which one, they're both the same) will go to higher energy state.

If they are, let's say, free and you try to push them closer (I think something like that happens in white dwarfs or neutron stars) you will reach certain limit above which you cannot bring them any closer due to the pauli exclusion principle. You can imagine (at least that's how I do it) that each fermion establishes a "zone" around himself in which other fermions are not allowed to enter which is not effect of any force, but only consequence of their indistinguishability (hope I spelled this correctly :)).

You can imagine (at least that's how I do it) that each fermion establishes a "zone" around himself in which other fermions are not allowed to enter which is not effect of any force,
If I may elaborate on this for the OP...
Take a simple two fermion state:
Using bra-ket formalism,

[tex] \mid\psi_1, \psi_2>= \frac{1}{\sqrt2} (\mid\psi_1> \mid\psi_2> - \mid\psi_2> \mid\psi_1> ) [/tex]
we clearly see that we can't have two fermions in the same state ( [itex] \psi_1=\psi_2[/itex] ).

But, since you (touqra) are interested in finding fermions in space we should use take a product of a coordinate x (1D, for simplicity) with the state (aka wavefunction):

[tex]\Psi(x_1, x_2)=\psi(x_1) \psi(x_2) - \psi(x_2) \psi(x_1) [/tex]

Now, the probability of finding a system in some place is the square of the wavefunction. The probability of finding the two fermions will be decrease as the distance between them decreases, but will only be zero when [itex]x_1=x_2[/itex]

My point is that there doesn't exist a minimum distance between two fermions in the same state below which we will never find them, that is the "zone" that Igor_S mentions isn't clearly defined.

Last edited:
It's essential whether the fermions are identical or not. "Bringing very close to each other" usually implies the ultraviolet behavior of the (hopefully) renormalizable field theory which describes their interaction. QED is UV-renormalizable (just like QCD).

Daniel.

1. What is a fermion?

A fermion is a type of subatomic particle that makes up the building blocks of matter. Examples of fermions include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. What happens when two fermions, like electrons, come together?

When two fermions come together, they can interact with each other in various ways. This can include exchanging energy or repelling each other due to their electric charges.

3. Can two fermions ever occupy the same space?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, two fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state at the same time. This is why electrons are arranged in different energy levels around an atom's nucleus.

4. What is the significance of two fermions coming together?

The interaction between two fermions is important in understanding the behavior and properties of matter. It can determine the stability and structure of atoms, as well as how particles behave in extreme conditions such as in a nuclear reactor or a star.

5. Is there any danger in two fermions coming together?

In general, there is no danger in two fermions coming together. However, in some extreme situations, such as in a nuclear explosion, the interaction between fermions can release a large amount of energy, which can be dangerous if not controlled.