Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will happen once we lift the gear beam? (Approach?)

1. Dec 5, 2016 #1
    Hello physicsforums,

I am an undergraduate ME and an intern at a machined parts supplier. I have been assigned to address a safety concern in the company. I believe there are more reliable solutions to this concern, but the details do not pertain to the task for which I am asking for help here today.

Quick sketch of the problem.

My boss asked me to predict (calculate) what will happen once this I beam lifts the gear beam off of its supports, in order to justify changing the way we currently lift the gear beam or disprove the proposed method you see in the sketch . I have marked the CG of the gear beam as shown. My intuition tells me that once the gear beam is lifted off the supports, it will rotate CCW until its CG is a minimum distance from the ground. This will cause the I beam to rotate about the cable.

My question is, what do I do to show exactly how much each component will rotate? I have looked through my dynamics books, my statics books, and my calculus book, but nothing deals with something of this sort. I have considered calculating the instantaneous center for the gear beam, but the problem with that is that it changes as the gear beam rotates.

How may I approach this problem; and is solving this a realistic expectation of me by my boss?

I can provide more details if necessary; I appreciate any input I can get on this. Thank you!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted