Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will happen to Mrs. Miers?

1. She will be given a floor vote and confirmed without a fillibuster

18.2%
  2. She will be given a floor vote and rejected, mostly by Democrats

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. She will be given a floor vote and rejected, mostly by Republicans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. She will be given a floor vote and rejected bi-partisanly

54.5%
  5. She will be fillibustered by Democrats, eventually confirmed

27.3%
  6. She will be fillibustered by Democrats, eventually rejected

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. She will be fillibustered by Republicans, eventually confirmed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. She willbe fillibustered by Republicans, eventually rejected

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. She will be fillibustered bi-partisanly, eventually confirmed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. She will be fillibustered bi-partisanly, eventually rejected

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    Just wanna see some solid predictions about what'll happen to the Miers nomination.

Unfortunately, I couldn't fit in all the options.

She could be fillibustered until Congress takes a recess and appointed in a recess appointment, Bolton style. Come to think of it, that actually seems like the most likley option, unless she's quickly rejected.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    She'll be confirmed.

She'll be a very weak justice.

I hope I am wrong on #1. #2 I have less concern about. But I thought the Roberts nomination had merit, and this candidate just doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark.

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Where's "She will not even make it to the floor"?

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    Didn't know it was a poll, I voted for the filibuster --> confirmation.

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    Not enough room for it, would've put it if I could.

Though if she doesn't make it to the floor, Bush'll probabally just pull a recess appointment.

7. Oct 19, 2005 #6
    Can you do that for the SC??

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    Well, I'm seeing Bork here, so my vote would have been she wouldn't even make it to the floor. I chose the next best thing.

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
    I believe that's how John Kennedy got Thurgood Marshall, the first black supreme court justice, on the court.

10. Oct 20, 2005 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can make a recess appointment for the USSC, but it's only affective until the next session of Congress convenes - i.e. until Jan 2006.

I voted rejected bipartisanly. There's one big problem with withdrawing her. A defeat for Bush now and the loss of respect that would create just makes the next nominee an impossible proposition. He goes with a nominee that appeals to his right, the left and moderates have no fear of voting against them. He goes with a moderate nominee, his own right will have no fear against dropping their support for him. The second would be the only feasible option should he replace Miers, but he'll have no political base if he caves in to the moderates and left.

His 'political capital' is just about completely spent. He has to see the Mier's nomination out to its end, one or the other, or give up all hope of having any second term agenda.

Or, the shifts we saw post-Katrina become more exaggerated and he tries to generate a political base by switching to the Democratic Party. That would be dramatic. Sure, it's extremely unlikely, but, hey, after you've been 'born again' once, it's gets easier the second time. Eventually, he could even say, "I know reincarnation's real! I've been reborn nineteen times before."

11. Oct 20, 2005 #10
    If you look closely at Miers, she appears to be in ill health. She is an amateur, it is obvious she is a one trick pony being put in place to facilitate one issue. The issue is abortion.

We need seasoned jurists to run our Supreme Court, and since this adminstration is dead in the water, regardless of how much spin is bought and paid for, there is no danger to any Senator or Representative to oppose this nominee. Somewhere, somehow the Houses Of Congress will once again serve the people of this nation. Rejecting the Miers nomination would be a good start.

12. Oct 20, 2005 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I am hoping for #4, but then Senator (D-NM) Harry Reid supports Miers. :rolleyes:

I do not think she has the necessary experience, and she does not appear to be as impartial as I would like in an Associate Justice.

And I really have to question her judgement if she thinks Bush is intelligent - or rather the "most intelligent" man she has ever known. ARRGGGHHH!!! :rolleyes:

13. Oct 20, 2005 #12
    I haven't been following it that closely, but from the bits and pieces I've heard, Republicans weren't supporting her because she lacks intellectual prowess and they didn't know her position on abortion. Then it came out that she had expressed an anti-abortion opinion at some point in her life and the Republicans are now supporting her. Go figure.

14. Oct 20, 2005 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which Republicans? Republicans aren't exactly the epitome of a united party right now.

15. Oct 28, 2005 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops! Better add another option to the poll. :rofl:

16. Oct 28, 2005 #15
    I'm delighted to be wrong!!

Yay!!

17. Oct 28, 2005 #16
    11. She'll become a bag lady or one of those ladies with 30 cats in her house.

18. Oct 28, 2005 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm changing my vote, then. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?