Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will happen when/if a TOE is found?

1. Jun 16, 2004 #1
    If the Four known forces are connected what will become possible in terms of technology? Will there be flying cars for instance?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2004 #2

arivero

Gold Member

Aggh this is an argument *against* TOE-research.

4. Jun 16, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There have been flying cars since I was a kid. They aren't practical (folding wings and such).

I suppose you mean antigravity. No reason to think so, but an outside possibility. But note we live at the bottom of a gravity well; shutting off gravity to an object would result in a huge potential diference, resulting perhaps in tornado like destruction.

5. Jun 22, 2004 #4
    I think that, if or when a TOE is finally found and proven worthy by the powers to be; there will be many more new questions raised than answers provided.

6. Jun 23, 2004 #5
    ^^Very well said.

According to String Theory, if the TOE is found, we will then be able to a whole host of things, like travel from London, to Indian, to the Usa, to Bangkok and back again in an instance :tongue2: COOL! :tongue2: lol

Other than thatm our understanding of how the world was formed will be a lot better as well, from things such as the Big Bang to how particles react to each other. But the thing is, will the TOE be another Theory of General Relativity, ie. will it be one of the greatest mathematical discoveries of all time but also the most destructive........ :frown: Theory of general relativity led to the Atmoic Bomb, and now Hiroshima is un-inhabitable, countries are threatening to use nuclear weapons, etc. what if we do find a TOE and it's used wrongly......?? :frown:

7. Jun 23, 2004 #6
    BTW, the first bit of the above post is about if we find a TOE using String Theory, but i dunno about Quantam Loop theory....

8. Jul 1, 2004 #7
    when they find TOE the day will turn to night, massive storms will strike us,
    cataclyzmic earthquakes will sink the very homes we live in.Only the very strong will survive !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?