What Will I Learn in My First Year of Electrical Engineering or Physics?

• Thread starter Quarkycharm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary: What we didn't do in the course was learn about microcontrollers or how to program them. The electrical engineering program at the university of maine is a 4 year program. The first 2 years are essentially prerequisites, and you have to take physics and math. The next 2 years you can take any courses you want, with the exception of engineering physics. You can, however, take engineering physics if you want. After you graduate, you can go to a four year college to get your degree in electrical engineering or you can go to a two year college and then transfer to a four year university to get your electrical engineering degree.
Quarkycharm
Hey all,
I'm currently confused of what to study in college. I'm thinking about two options, Physics or Electrical Engineering.

Anyway, what physics classes will I be taking, I know electricity and magnetism, but will I be taking quantum or particle physics or even relativity?

And could you just give me some tips or advices regarding EG?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
either one is cool..
the physics i took was physics w/calculus 1 & 2.. with Halliday & Resnick books
then i had a relativity course , Modern Physics..
this was for EE..
the first one covered Motion , the second covered magnetism & electricity..
the third covered quantum physics & relativity..no particle physics was required..
i don't know what physics courses you would be taking as a physics major..

I took a semester in electrical engineering at the university of maine and dropped out of the program and transferred to Mathematics. Your first year in either area of concentration will basically be identical, and will consist of heavy math (typically up through calculus 3, possibly also linear algebra and differential equations), physics, and all of your general schooling requirements. ECE will include computer programming, typically in C/C++ and assembly. Electrical engineering tends to be (subjectively speaking) the hardest area of concentration. If you choose it, be damn sure you *really* want it. I am an avid computer programmer and math geek and considered myself substantially ahead intellectually against my peers, but I had a harder time with the course because it was not what I wanted to do.

What we did in electrical engineering 101:
We assembled a small remote controlled car in teams of 3. The car was controlled by an infrared signal. Everything that could be made by human hands, we built. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I got a D in the course. However, to be fair, I did learn a lot and I'm not bitter, I was just a casualty of joining a program I wasn't actually interested enough in. And of course we also learned the basics of electricity, including ohms law, capacitors, how timers work, how logic gates work, how to build the most efficient systems of gates, stuff like that.

Last edited:

What will I be studying?

1. What is the focus of your research?

My research focuses on understanding the mechanisms of genetic diseases and developing potential treatments.

2. What specific subjects or fields does your research cover?

My research covers a wide range of subjects, including genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell biology.

3. How does your research contribute to the scientific community?

My research aims to advance our understanding of genetic diseases and potentially provide new treatment options for patients. It also adds to the body of knowledge in the fields of genetics and molecular biology.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods that you use in your research?

Yes, I use a combination of techniques such as gene editing, cell culture, and protein analysis to conduct my research.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of your research?

The potential applications of my research include developing new treatments for genetic diseases, improving diagnostic techniques, and furthering our understanding of the genetic basis of human health and disease.