Oil Replacements: What Will Power the Future? (Percentages)

• Thread starter Jay GW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses potential replacements for oil and their estimated percentage of representation in the future. The discussed alternatives include nuclear, hydrogen, and electricity, with a small mention of potential tragedies replacing oil. In the US, it is predicted that electricity will primarily come from coal and nuclear energy, while motor vehicles will largely use electricity or hydrogen. In terms of heating, natural gas is expected to dominate. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that it is difficult to accurately predict the future.
Jay GW
Name the replacements for oil and next to them what percentage you believe they'll come to represent as energy of the future.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure sounds like homework to me. What do you think the answers might be, and why?

- Warren

What will replace oil? If that ain't the $64 billion question, I don't know what is.:biggrin:

Nuclear would be my guess since it's safer these days.
Hydrogen is the future and that's where it always will be.

Massive famine and tragedy will take the place of oil

It doesn't really sound like a homework problem to me, but what do I know?

60 years from now, in the US:

Electricity:
coal 59%
nuclear 35%
wind 4%
solar 1%

Motor Vehicle Power:
electricity/hydrogen 99%
natural gas 1%
ethanol 0%

Heating:
electricity 10%
natural gas 90%In another thread I said that no one can really predict the future.

After giving those percentages..do you still agree with your post in another thread?

1. What are the current percentages of oil usage compared to other energy sources?

According to the International Energy Agency, in 2020, oil accounted for 32% of global energy consumption, followed by coal (27%), natural gas (24%), and renewable energy (11%). Nuclear energy accounted for around 5%.

2. What is the most promising alternative to oil for powering the future?

The most promising alternative to oil for powering the future is renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal energy. These sources are clean, renewable, and have the potential to meet the world's energy needs without contributing to climate change.

3. How can we reduce our dependence on oil?

There are several ways we can reduce our dependence on oil. We can invest in and promote the use of renewable energy sources, improve energy efficiency in industries, transportation, and buildings, and encourage the development and use of electric and hybrid vehicles.

4. Will there be a complete replacement for oil in the near future?

It is unlikely that there will be a complete replacement for oil in the near future. While renewable energy sources are becoming more widely used, oil still plays a crucial role in many industries and transportation. However, with continued advancements in technology and a shift towards more sustainable practices, we may see a decrease in our dependence on oil over time.

5. What are the potential economic and environmental impacts of transitioning away from oil?

The transition away from oil could have both positive and negative economic and environmental impacts. On the positive side, it could create new job opportunities in renewable energy industries and reduce our carbon emissions, helping to mitigate the effects of climate change. However, there could also be economic challenges, such as the loss of jobs in the oil industry and the need for significant investments in new infrastructure. Additionally, the transition may not happen fast enough to prevent the worst impacts of climate change.