1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will the following formula go ?

1. May 20, 2004 #1
    Can you point out how to simplify the following formula ?

[tex]\frac{C^0_n}{x}-\frac{C^1_n}{x+1}+........+(-1)^n\frac{C^n_n}{x+n}[/tex]

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

your Cs are binomial coeffs?

have you worked itout for the cases n=0,1,2? what did you get there? is there a pattern you can see?

4. May 20, 2004 #3
    Thanks Matt for your help

Yes, they are binomial coeffs.
    I tried till n reaches 4 and I figured it out...
    [tex]n=0 \frac{C^0_0}{x}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
    [tex]n=1 \frac{C^0_1}{x}-\frac{C^1_1}{x+1}=\frac{1}{x(x+1)}[/tex]
    [tex]n=2, \frac{C^0_2}{x}-\frac{C^1_2}{x+1}+\frac{C^2_2}{x+2}=\frac{1}{x}-\frac{2}{x+1}+\frac{1}{x+2}=\frac{2}{x(x+1)(x+2)}[/tex]
    [tex]n=3, \frac{C^0_3}{x}-\frac{C^1_3}{x+1}+\frac{C^2_3}{x+2}-\frac{C^3_3}{x+3}=\frac{6}{x(x+1)(x+2)(x+3)}[/tex]
    [tex]n=4, \frac{C^0_4}{x}-\frac{C^1_4}{x+1}+\frac{C^2_4}{x+2}-\frac{C^3_4}{x+4}+\frac{C^4_4}{x+4}=\frac{24}{x(x+1)(x+2)(x+3)(x+4)}[/tex]

So I think it will be [tex]\frac{n!}{x(x+1).....(x+n)}[/tex]

Thank Matt so very much for your suggestions, :smile:

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  5. May 20, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that seems about right:

let P=x(x+1)(x+2)...(x+n) and let P(r) be P, but where you omit the factor (x+r)

then you want to work out
    {P(0) -P(1)nC1 + P(2)nC2 ....)/P

if you work out the coeff of x^s in the bracket you see lots of things happening:

x^(n-1) has coeff the alternating sum of all the binom coeffs, so it's zero,
    x^0 is just the constant term in P(0), cos all the other terms P(s) have a factor of x in them. you should tidy up that to work for all coeffs

6. May 20, 2004 #5
    Oh Well, That is really great, I have just learnt new things from you, Matt. :sm:

Thank Matt very much...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook