Can Lexus Cars Parallel Park Themselves?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses the advancements in technology for Lexus cars, including a video demonstration of the car's ability to parallel park itself. Some members of the conversation find this feature unnecessary and criticize those who cannot parallel park on their own. Others are more interested in other technological features, such as the Short Range Automotive Radar Frequency Allocation system. Overall, opinions on the self-parking feature are mixed, with some finding it impressive and others seeing it as just a novelty for wealthy car owners.
Cyrus
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2595666904299390202&q=lexus+parallel+park

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Holy crap! That is insane, that would have made the drivers test a whole lot less stressful :P

cyrusabdollahi said:
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2595666904299390202&q=lexus+parallel+park

:eek:
So what?
It is just another dumb car. BORING!

arildno said:
So what?
It is just another dumb car. BORING!
I think it was pretty cool. :approve:

that video made me wonder how people parallel parked 6 months ago. if people don't know how to do it why don't they just learn to?

Anyone who can afford a brand new Lexus really should know how to drive.

I saw a demo of it on the news the other night. I'm not really that impressed. It needs 2 ft of space on both ends...if you can't parallel park yourself in a space a full 4 ft longer than the car, you don't belong on the road. It's those teeny, tiny spaces in cities with more like 4 inches of space that require skill to get into! Oh, and apparently it also doesn't work if you park on a hill because the car needs to coast into the spot (it uses the engine's idle speed, which leaves me wondering just how fast it's idling), only does the reverse part of the parking (once you shift back into forward, you're on your own again), and you're still in charge of the brake. It was hard to tell with the camera angle in the demo, but I wasn't even convinced it got the car all that close to the curb. I think it's just a new toy for rich people to have in their cars now that even the poor people can get On-Star and GPS type stuff. :wink:

Oh come on you guys its cool! It may be completely unnecessary and will make everyone worse drivers but its still pretty neat!

Last edited:
BobG said:
Oh, for crying out loud!

This is how you parallel park!

How to parallel park

Need more instruction? Here's some of the best parallel parkers.

Parallel parking compilation

Lol, has anyone seen the Blues Brothers, how Elwood parks that old police cruiser. It's much the same as that link above, pretty funny.

What they thought of next.
http://www.mae.cornell.edu/raff/InteractiveDynamicArt/DailyPlanetLR.wmv

Moonbear said:
It needs 2 ft of space on both ends...if you can't parallel park yourself in a space a full 4 ft longer than the car, you don't belong on the road.
HEY! :grumpy: I need at least three car lengths of open curb to paralllel park. I failed parallel parking when I took my driving test, but I wore a short skirt. :wink:

What does parking have to do with driving? I just don't ever parallel park. :mad:

Hahaha, the old short skirt trick, huh evo? :approve: :tongue2:

Well, i wouldn't mind if my automobile will park by itself, it's too big and sometimes i get tired of going back and forth to get out of the parking lot!.

Cyclovenom said:
Hahaha, the old short skirt trick, huh evo? :approve: :tongue2:

Well, i wouldn't mind if my automobile will park by itself, it's too big and sometimes i get tired of going back and forth to get out of the parking lot!.

So go European and get a small car?

Hmmm. Maybe I could get my dad to lease one for the test seeing as you are not allowed to use rental cars for the test.

BobG said:

I hate when that happens.
^Genius. I laughed when I read that comment.

EDIT: I learned how to parallel park perfectly, and was damn good at it. Then come test day, they don't make me parallel park... wth?

moose said:
^Genius. I laughed when I read that comment.

EDIT: I learned how to parallel park perfectly, and was damn good at it. Then come test day, they don't make me parallel park... wth?
I've heard this a lot, I really don't see why they don't make you, considering how hard it is to get good at. I guess they make you back in that's all. No more backing up for 20 feet and hitting the line equals a fail.

i'm more interested in the S.A.R.A system.

Short Range Automotive Radar Frequency Allocation

its a 24GHZ radar that detects everything in its path, stopping if there should be a chance of colliding with anything and that you wouldn't stop yourself.
Also braking much smoother then a normal person as it calculates the distance and speed.

Currently they're also working on a 79GHZ.

so now we just need the gps to guide the car around right ? :D

Volumunox said:
i'm more interested in the S.A.R.A system.

Short Range Automotive Radar Frequency Allocation

its a 24GHZ radar that detects everything in its path, stopping if there should be a chance of colliding with anything and that you wouldn't stop yourself.
Also braking much smoother then a normal person as it calculates the distance and speed.

Currently they're also working on a 79GHZ.

so now we just need the gps to guide the car around right ? :D

But you have to hope the car behind you has the same equipment.

edward said:
But you have to hope the car behind you has the same equipment.
Especially when it brakes for the tree branch you would have chosen to run over rather than get rear-ended by the tractor trailer following too close. Sometimes it's safer to risk a bit of body damage to the car from something small than slam on the brakes and get hit by something bigger.

Moonbear said:
Especially when it brakes for the tree branch you would have chosen to run over rather than get rear-ended by the tractor trailer following too close. Sometimes it's safer to risk a bit of body damage to the car from something small than slam on the brakes and get hit by something bigger.

How many people look in the rear view when they are about to slam a tree?

I'd say almost no one.

exactly... Almost no one ;)

1. What does "what will they think of next?" mean?

The phrase "what will they think of next?" is often used to express surprise or amazement at something new or unexpected. It implies that there is a constant stream of innovation and advancement, and that it is difficult to predict what will come next.

2. Who are "they" in the phrase "what will they think of next?"

In this context, "they" can refer to anyone or any group who is responsible for creating or inventing new things. This could include scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, artists, or any other individuals or organizations that are constantly pushing the boundaries of knowledge and creativity.

3. Is it possible to predict what "they" will think of next?

While it is impossible to accurately predict the future, we can make educated guesses based on current trends and patterns. However, the phrase "what will they think of next?" suggests that there will always be surprises and innovations that we cannot anticipate.

4. Why is it important to think about what "they" will think of next?

As a scientist, it is important to stay curious and open-minded about new ideas and developments. By thinking about what "they" will think of next, we can stay ahead of the curve and continue to push the boundaries of knowledge and innovation.

5. How can I contribute to what "they" will think of next?

There are many ways to contribute to the constant stream of new ideas and innovations. As a scientist, you can conduct research and experiments that lead to new discoveries. You can also collaborate with other scientists and experts in different fields to exchange ideas and come up with new solutions. Additionally, staying informed and curious about the latest developments in your field can also inspire new ideas and contributions.