What will you be studying this semester?

In summary, the author is studying physics this year and in the US the academic year has already started. The first year of the program is called "A Thorough Course in Everything". After that, in the second year, the student chooses a field of study and becomes specialized. This semester the author will be doing Mathematical Methods of Physics. The workload is relatively easy with only 18 hours of lectures, exercises, and lab work per week. The author plans to take an introductory course in theoretical physics, thermal properties of matter, and the laws of thermodynamics.
:bugeye:
Then what are you complaining about? Breaks between classes are ideal to sit down and relax with a few friends, or a quick trip to the library to get some work done.
And when you've got longer breaks, like you often have, you can just go home... I'm jealous.

Aah, I remember my first year. 42h/week, almost always I'd start at 8h, and have classes till 18h, with only one hour lunch break. I'd leave home when it was dark out, I'd come back home when it was dark out...

Halfway through the second semester I figured I'd have a lot more time if I just studied on my own and did'n go to class. Been following that system ever since, it does wonders for you sense of happiness :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
LoL, true. i guess it's not bad. But it really depends on what you want. Like durring the winter I'm going to have spend 14+hrs one day a week at school. lol.. aw well. I just know most of my other friends have things much more bunched together.

Don't worry, at uni, you'll make plenty of new friends :wink: :tongue2:

especially by chatting on pf at night

I'm still just a sophomore taking basic courses :(.. taking Physics II (Electricity & Magnetism) + Lab, Math 306 (DiffEQ), CHE 102 (Chemistry II), and PHI 101 (Intro to Philosophy).

I am going into CS... is that bad? Should I change to CE?

Term:F Intro. to Logic for Computer Science
Term:F Differential Calculus with Applications
Term:F Introduction to Computer Science I
Term:W Integral Calculus with Applications
Term:W Introduction to Computer Science II
Term:W Discrete Math for Computer Science

In my first term this year at university:

Classical Mechanics and Relativity
Statistical Physics and Entropy (yuck!)
Mathematics for Physicists 3
Astronomical and Space Instrumentation
Physics Lab 3
Physics and Communication Skills

Last edited:
My First Term:

Intro to Physics
Calculus I
Linear Algebra I
Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometry I

im a junior( O.O getting so old, so fast, i still think I am a freshman) in high school, much less knowledgeable than the rest of you guys. -_-
ap: calc bc, physics c, biology, english language, and world history
and throw in engineering, and we've got ourselves a fun year. =)

Nylex said:
Statistical Physics and Entropy (yuck!)

:yuck: I hear you! I hated thermodynamics last year, and this year I'll have a heavy statistical physics course as well :grumpy:

Finally, I've decided to give up physics and maths, which have been some of my favorite subjects, to study medicine (MBBS).

I don't have the right to choose what to study in the coming 5 years because I have to study everything in the syllabus. :eek:

Year 1
first sem
- introductory to health and disease block

In this block, I'll have some introductory courses on physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, microbiology, pharmacology, pathology and community medicine. There will be practical lessons and lab sessions. I'm looking forward to my first dissection lesson :biggrin: and have drug tests on mice. hee.

Then a system-based course will begin in the second semester of the first year and continues for the first and second semester of the second year. These systems include respiratory system, cardiovasular system, gastrointestinal system, urogenital system, musculoskeletal system, central nervous system, head and neck system, haematology and immunology system and endocrine system.

After the first 2 years, nearly all the theory part of the curriculum will have been covered.

Well its about time! :biggrin:

I hate to see you give up physics but the world of medicine can certainly use you. KL, where are you going? I may have deleted your last email [by accident] before reading it.

Dimitri Terryn said:
:yuck: I hear you! I hated thermodynamics last year, and this year I'll have a heavy statistical physics course as well :grumpy:

Sucks. I think this is the last year I have a compulsory statistical physics module, thank God!

Honours Class down at Melbourne Uni:

6 weeks doing:
Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics
Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

Another 6 weeks doing:
Quantum Field Theory
Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics

Still another 6 weeks doing:
General Relativity
Extragalactic astrophysics and Cosmology

... and research project on the reionisation epoch.

I'm also reading Zwiebach's "A first course in String theory", Peebles' "Principles of Physical Cosmology", Szekeres' "A modern course in Mathematical Physics" and other books in mathematics (Steenrod's "Fibre bundles", Algebraic Topology, etc..)

Well I am a sophomore high school student(for a few more days at least :P)
When August comes around, I will be taking
Physics
Pre-Calc
AP Us/AZ history
English III H

then second semester
AP calc 1-2
AP biology
AP physics
Creative writing/drivers ed :yuck:

I have a class next fall where we go to San Francisco to watch live plays and then hold group discussions about them. I'm sure glad I didn't finish all my GEs in the first two years.