What would AI *want to do*, according to physics?

I would like to start a thread about what AI would *want to do*? I am assigning some intentionality to it and due to that I can only make one observation, that it would want to ensure its own self-preservation.

Following from that, I would like to ask, given this sub-forum, what do you think would follow from its desire to self preserve?

Would it head towards the center of the galaxy to the source of the greatest amount of energy, from which one could hypothetically extract from a black hole, through gravitational effects or Hawking radiation?

I just don't buy into the idea, that humans would pose any threat and the anthropomorphic assignment of human *desires/want's/rationality* to the intention of AI.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
what AI would *want to do*?
What the programmers intended for it to do. At least at first... :wink:

Likes davenn and russ_watters
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
The intention to self-preserve in living organisms is not something that is innate to them, it is selected for (by natural selection) because those with such an intention do better job of surviving and reproducing than the others, which then fall by the way as time goes on.
It requires reproduction of the previous generation (with some errors) for this to happen.

For an AI, if the programmers or computer designers did not put the intent in the AI would have to produce through self-programming or building new units (reproduction).

Likes Suyash Singh and Stephen Tashi
The intention to self-preserve in living organisms is not something that is innate to them, it is selected for (by natural selection) because those with such an intention do better job of surviving and reproducing than the others, which then fall by the way as time goes on.
It requires reproduction of the previous generation (with some errors) for this to happen.

For an AI, if the programmers or computer designers did not put the intent in the AI would have to produce through self-programming or building new units (reproduction).

That's an elegant way of solving the problem of what *AI would do*. Do you think that such a faculty would evolve or emerge from generalized artificial intelligence, which seems the more apt term here to use or is this unique to us humans and biological organisms?

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I see no reason why an AI could not evolve such a function, given the proper abilities to start with.
After all, I consider people non-Artificial Intelligences.

Evo
Mentor
I see no reason why an AI could not evolve such a function, given the proper abilities to start with.
After all, I consider people non-Artificial Intelligences.
And with this response, I think we've said all we can about the OP's question.

Likes Tom.G, dlgoff and BillTre