Can the outer measure be non-countably additive?

• Thread starter symbol0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of countably additive outer measure and asks for an example where it is not satisfied. The example given is A = [-1,1] and B = [0,2], with their union having an outer measure of 3 which is less than the sum of their individual outer measures (4). The speaker also mentions the use of Vitali sets to create a counterexample for the Lebesgue Outer Measure.
symbol0
I read that the outer measure is not countably additive, but I can only think of cases where the outer measure is countably additive.
Can anybody give me an example where the outer measure is not countably additive?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Take A= [-1,1] and B=[0,2]. Then AuB=[-1,2], so mes(AuB)=3. But mes(A)+mes(B) = 2+2=4.

Indeed, you will always have mes(A_1 u ... u A_n)< mes(A_1)+...+mes(A_n) as soon as some pair of A_i intersect in a set of positive measure...

mmm?
the definition of countably additive only considers disjoint sets.

I think the OP wants a countable collection of pairwise disjoint sets such that the outer measure of their union is strictly less than the sum of their outer measures. As for Lebesgue Outer Measure, you can create a Vitali set V contained in [0,1] (Vitali sets are non-measurable, and no two of their members differ by a rational number). Since V is non-measurable subset of [0,1], its outer measure d must be strictly greater than 0 but no greater than 1. The set {r_k} of rational numbers in [0,1] is countable, so {V+r_k} is a countable collection of pairwise disjoint sets, with V+r_k (translating every element of V by r_k to the right) a subset of [0,2] with outer measure d for each k. Thus the outer measure of the union of any collection of V+r_k cannot exceed 2. If it were the case, however, that the outer measure of any such union equaled the sum of the outer measures, then if we chose N>2/d and looked at a collection of N different sets V+r_k, we would have the outer measure of their union equal to Nd, which is strictly greater than 2, providing our contradiction.

This counterexample would be horrendously difficult to think up on your own, and the construction of Vitali sets requires the Axiom of Choice.

I see.
Thank you Mr. Van Damme

What would be an example of a scientific hypothesis?

An example of a scientific hypothesis could be: "If plants are exposed to more sunlight, then they will grow taller." This hypothesis can be tested through experiments and data analysis to determine its validity.

What would be an example of a scientific theory?

An example of a scientific theory could be the theory of evolution. This theory explains how species change and evolve over time through natural selection. It is supported by a vast amount of evidence and has been tested and refined over many years.

What would be an example of a scientific law?

An example of a scientific law could be Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. This law states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What would be an example of a scientific experiment?

An example of a scientific experiment could be testing the effect of different types of fertilizer on plant growth. The experiment would involve having a control group of plants that receive no fertilizer, and several experimental groups that receive different types of fertilizer. The growth of the plants would be measured and compared to determine the most effective fertilizer.

What would be an example of a scientific observation?

An example of a scientific observation could be noticing that a certain type of plant grows better in a certain type of soil. This observation could lead to a hypothesis and further experimentation to determine the cause of the difference in plant growth.