What is f(x) for Loaded Die?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jason76
  • Start date
In summary, the probability that x rolls are needed until an even number appears can be represented by f(x), where K is the constant probability for each roll. Using the given information and the correct format, we can solve for K and find that f(x) = 1/21x. For specific values of x, such as f(1) and f(2), we can calculate the probability based on the number of rolls needed until an even number appears.
Jason76
What would be f(x) - given the below information?

A die has its six faces loaded so that P(roll is i)=K*x for x=1,2,3,4,5,6. It is rolled until an even number appears. Let X be the number of rolls needed.

[tex]K + 2K + 3K + 4K + 5K + 6K = 1[/tex]

is the correct format so

[tex]21K = 1[/tex]

so

[tex]K = \dfrac{1}{21}[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \dfrac{1}{21}x[/tex] ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jason76 said:
What would be f(x) - given the below information?
A die has its six faces loaded so that P(roll is i)=K*x for x=1,2,3,4,5,6. It is rolled until an even number appears. Let X be the number of rolls needed.

[tex]K + 2K + 3K + 4K + 5K + 6K = 1[/tex]

is the correct format so

[tex]21K = 1[/tex]

so

[tex]K = \dfrac{1}{21}[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \dfrac{1}{21}x[/tex] ??

Hi Jason76,

Let me take the liberty to rephrase your problem statement a bit, since I believe $i$ and $x$ are supposed to have different meanings.

A die has its six faces loaded so that P(roll is i)=K*i for i=1,2,3,4,5,6. It is rolled until an even number appears. Let X be the number of rolls needed.
Let $f(x)$ be the probability that $x$ rolls are needed until an even number appears.

Does that look right to you?

It would mean that f(1) is the probability that the very first roll is even, after which we stop.

So:
f(1) = P(1st roll is even) = P(roll is 2 or 4 or 6) = P(roll is 2) + P(roll is 4) + P(roll is 6) = 2/21 + 4/21 + 6/21 = 12/21

and:
f(2) = P(1st roll is odd and 2nd roll is even) = P(1st roll is odd) P(2nd roll is even)

What would f(2) be?

1. What is f(x)?

f(x) is a mathematical notation that represents a function. It is commonly used to show the relationship between an input variable (x) and an output variable.

2. What does f(x) for Loaded Die mean?

f(x) for Loaded Die refers to the probability distribution function for a loaded die. It shows the likelihood of each possible outcome when rolling the loaded die.

3. How is f(x) for Loaded Die calculated?

f(x) for Loaded Die is calculated by dividing the probability of each outcome by the total number of outcomes. For example, if a loaded die has a 1/6 chance of rolling a 6, the f(x) value for rolling a 6 would be 1/6.

4. What are some factors that can affect f(x) for Loaded Die?

Factors that can affect f(x) for Loaded Die include the weight distribution of the die, the surface it is rolled on, and the force used when rolling the die. These factors can change the probability of certain outcomes and therefore affect the f(x) values.

5. How is f(x) for Loaded Die used in experiments?

f(x) for Loaded Die is used in experiments to simulate random events with known probabilities. This can help researchers understand the likelihood of certain outcomes and make predictions based on those probabilities.