Which is denser: a rhino or a rock?

• Thread starter promeus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the density of a rhino compared to a rock, specifically a glacial deposit. The question is whether the rock, with its assumed higher density, would be heavier than a rhino of the same size. The conversation also considers the density of flesh compared to stone. The conclusion is that the rock would likely be heavier due to its higher density, even with the rhino's air-filled body.
promeus
What would have a higher degree of density?

A rhino the Size of this rock or the rock itself?

article-1333403-0C3FAC69000005DC-473_634x421.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you have a point in posting this picture of what is obviously a glacial deposit.

I just wanted know if the rock( which is essentially a glacial deposit)is more dense than a rhino that would be the same size.
Is flesh generally less dense than stone?

promeus said:
I just wanted know if the rock( which is essentially a glacial deposit)is more dense than a rhino that would be the same size.
Is flesh generally less dense than stone?

I liked this question.
Lets assume the flesh is made up of Water, (ρ=1000kg/m) cool.
Secondly, the rock, assume any rock or in general, it would have twice the density that of water or let's say, 1.5 times the density of water.
So rock will be heavy.
Secondly, Rhino will have air inside it, so the density would decrease considerably.
My opinion is that, the rock will still be Heavier compared to Rhino. (I feel even his tusks and skin won't affect much).

Living objects are mainly made out of water, so their density is close to 1000kg/m^3.
I don't know the type of this rock, but a usual density would be at least twice this value.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume.

2. Which would be more dense: a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?

Both a pound of feathers and a pound of bricks would have the same density, as they contain the same amount of mass in the same volume.

3. Does temperature affect density?

Yes, temperature can affect density. As the temperature of a substance increases, its particles have more energy and move faster, causing them to spread out and take up more space. This results in a decrease in density.

4. How does density affect buoyancy?

Density plays a crucial role in determining the buoyancy of an object. If an object is less dense than the fluid it is placed in, it will float. If it is more dense, it will sink.

5. Can the density of a substance change?

Yes, the density of a substance can change. As mentioned before, temperature can affect density. Additionally, factors such as pressure and composition can also impact the density of a substance.